Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Private reefs

You guys really have no respect for the hard working people that purchase,permit and deploy the private reefs that have brought our reef fish populations back from the future of more shortened seasons and lower bag limits. Instead of running your mouth about raping someone's investment why don't you consider that if you find it take a few fish and go on. Better than that why don't you help by getting off your pocket book and deploy some yourself so that you can at least know that you are contributing to the fishery. The way you are doing it you are what we in the reef building community call the scourges of our industry. Be part of the solution not adding to the tearing down of our fisheries!!:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
You guys really have no respect for the hard working people that purchase,permit and deploy the private reefs that have brought our reef fish populations back from the future of more shortened seasons and lower bag limits. Instead of running your mouth about raping someone's investment why don't you consider that if you find it take a few fish and go on. Better than that why don't you help by getting off your pocket book and deploy some yourself so that you can at least know that you are contributing to the fishery. The way you are doing it you are what we in the reef building community call the scourges of our industry. Be part of the solution not adding to the tearing down of our fisheries!!:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Capt. Mike, not trying to start an argument with you, but I re-looked at all the post. Who was advocating raping a spot and cleaning it out on here, other than the comments made towards me that they found my spots and were going to carpet bomb them? Those guys were just joking. Unless I missed something else.

·
Mines Bigger
2,647 Posts
I say if your lucky enough to find a good spot that someone else might have bought or dropped than catch the shit out of them. I can understand from the person that dropped the spots point of view that they would be pissed but when you drop a reef it's a risk you take.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I believe that if u find a good spot, mark it, fish it a few times and leave it alone till next year... odds are that you and the "owner" of the reef aren't the only two who know of it. If u "catch the shit out of them" u are depleting the reef of large fish and it will take much longer for the remaining resident fish to be large enough to keep. Catch a few, then move on. There are plenty of wrecks, just slow down and watch your bottom machine! Just my opinion...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Reply of a user!!

:mad::mad::mad:Bigrick you are the epitome of what's wrong with with our sport. You sit back and watch everyone enhance our fisheries and then you get out there in your boat (I can only imagine what it is) and ride around like a true bandit to plunder what you can find. 15 years ago you would be labeled as a thief- that was when the people that fished out there had honor and respect for other fishermen and women.
What we all need to realize is that when idiots like bigrick become more prevalent than those of us that care for our sport and the fisheries and are willing to actually pay to be involved the resource is doomed. The fishing pressures will eradicate our resources. As for bigrick get off your pocket book and be part of what we have created not part of what will inevitably destroy it!!

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
:mad::mad::mad:Bigrick you are the epitome of what's wrong with with our sport. You sit back and watch everyone enhance our fisheries and then you get out there in your boat (I can only imagine what it is) and ride around like a true bandit to plunder what you can find. 15 years ago you would be labeled as a thief- that was when the people that fished out there had honor and respect for other fishermen and women.
30 years ago charter boats out of orange beach would run you off with a shotgun if you got to close to them while they were fishing a "privately" built spot.

Back then if a boat was heading south and running a course that would take them within a 1/2 mile of a boat fishing a "privately" built spot, common courtesy was to deviate from your course so as to give the boat fishing at minimum a 1/2 mile clearance so as not to interefere with the fishing going on.

I sorta of miss those days.

mark

·
Registered
447 Posts
Wow!! Bout half derailed here!! The guy simply asked how!! Or did I miss something? I have only been in the area for a couple of years. I have fished and dove quite a few "public" spots. There a litteraly tons of them. It would be impossible to fish them all. So I have pulled up to an anchored up up boat and asked hows it going only to get cussed out or worse yet they say nothing at all and just stare you down!! Excuse me! just trying to be friendly! If you are going to get that uptight and worried about someone gettin on yur spot! Why dont you sell your boat and get some friggin golf clubs!! :thumbdown:

Later

·
Registered
221 Posts
Man perspective gets lost quickly. First to the last post. If it's public(payed for by tax dollars or well published nat. bottom) then it's open to anyone at any time. Just use common boating courtesy. With today's technology anyone regularly bottom fishing should input the published public spots into the unit they're using and give room to anyone fishing a spot they don't have. As for those who would "run" on or "pick" off someone with their radar(which some charter boats took to), that's akin to showing up to a random BBQ, grabbing a beer, and asking when your burger will be done!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
i understand what markw is saying here haha my buddy has shot at quite a few boats that came too close to our spots i thought he was insane but the guys on the other boat were being complete idiots on the radio and pissed off quite a few captains that day. captain mike stand up for what is rightfully yours i respect that alot as a fellow fisherman i dont go offshore alot but i know how it is when someone raids your honey holes

·
Registered
212 Posts
i understand what markw is saying here haha my buddy has shot at quite a few boats that came too close to our spots i thought he was insane but the guys on the other boat were being complete idiots on the radio and pissed off quite a few captains that day. captain mike stand up for what is rightfully yours i respect that alot as a fellow fisherman i dont go offshore alot but i know how it is when someone raids your honey holes
are you fukin joking? your buddy needs to have his head examined, and is going to end up in jail if he thinks he can shoot a weapon at another boat,

i would have the fwc and coast guard up your ass before you knew what was happening

·
Registered
218 Posts
yeah it blew my mind too but people do crazy shit out there thats why i no longer associate myslef with him. he's bad news lol dont shoot the messenger man lol what happened happened its over sorry for posting ignorant stuff like that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lack of respect follows how the USA is going down the drain!

I contribute at least 12-30 spots to the Gulf Fishery every year (for the past 16 years) which means that I care what can happen to our reef fishery in a short time if fishermen and women decide like many have to plunder what they can TAKE! Its just like stealing your neighbors things he may have left out in the back yard when he goes in the house in the evening. I can't fish all my stuff I have put out over the years but I experience great satisfaction when I pull up on coops and other things I have deployed after 12-18 months and see the bottom machine light up and people start "bowing" up on the rail! I agree that our fishery is in the best shape as far as snapper that I have ever seen and I have been fishing the Gulf for 38 years. We have seen feast and famine as far as reef species go. When I started deploying reefs in numbers for myself in 1994 reef species were being kept up by the charter boat captains for the most part. As fuel prices, shortened seasons and lower bag limits took their toll the charter industry stopped deploying for the most part. What is being deployed today is in my estimation 95% recreational and 5% charter and commercial off the coasts of Alabama and northwest Florida.
We should as recreational people be proud that some have "stepped up" and more than done their part.I sell reefs so I must throw this in- save up and help us so you can say that you are part of the solution and not the problem!:yes::yes::yes::yes:

·
Mines Bigger
2,647 Posts
What we all need to realize is that when idiots like bigrick become more prevalent than those of us that care for our sport and the fisheries and are willing to actually pay to be involved the resource is doomed. The fishing pressures will eradicate our resources. As for bigrick get off your pocket book and be part of what we have created not part of what will inevitably destroy it!!

Don't get your diaper in a bunch old man. Sorry your bitter about spending thousand of dollars on something that doesn't belong to you.
Yet, I'm an idiot and whats wrong with this sport for stating that if I find something on my bottom machine I would fish it? Or am I an idiot because I fish in the gulf but don't spend the money to drop my own reefs?
I don't follow boats around with a radar gun but if I find a good spot regardless of who dropped it I'm gonna fish it.
For someone to think they have control over a reef is rediculous. I have a huge book of numbers of places I've found and I'm sure plenty are spots that someone paid to have dropped.
To say that people are shooting at eachother over where they are fishing is rediculous.....
I think that YOU are what's wrong with fishing today, I go out to have a good time with friends and catch fish . Not to harrass people and shoot at them for fishing in a spot.
Sorry if I ruin anyones day for fishing on their spot, but I sure as hell won't let them ruin mine.
I guess the confusion was over the statement, "catch the shit out of them" I don't mean catch all the fish on the reef leaving nothing, I just mean fish on the reef. I think regulations would limit me from depleting a reef completely. I've seen reefs that one day don't have hardly anything on them be stacked with fish a few weeks later. Fish don't just stay on the same reef their entire lifes. It's not like you raising specific fish to be taken. If you want to have YOUR FISH , start a fish farm .

·
Registered
524 Posts
Couple of points/questions. The analogy of stealing from someone's back yard doesn't hold up, the GOM is no ones/everyones "backyard". I don't see how you can claim a piece of it as your own. I remember always dropping christmas trees in the county and state lakes we fished, and no one ever claimed dominion over them or that piece of the lake.

If I am trolling and run over a reef I don't have marked, how do I know if it is private or not? Is it possible to have numbers for every public reef?

Thanks,

P_

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Interesting post here. As electronics continue to improve "private spots" won't stay private very long. As bottom machines continue to improve enabling anglers to find structure and fish more readily than ever before, the spots will be found. Add to that a little thing called radar and you can pick spots off from over the horizon, people do it all the time.

Putting out reefs is a good thing for everyone. It gives habitat to the fish and places for anglers to catch fish. There is no sense in getting upset when you find a charter boat, a big recreational boat or a center console sitting on a reef that you have deployed. All you can do is hope that they will not hammer the spot and give the numbers to everyone they know. The GOM belongs to all of us equally and we should all remember that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i agree fishing is supposed to be fun i grew up doing it and still continuously fish , abiding by laws that were set forth both inland and offshore. i cant help i got on the wrong boat shit happens.. he paid for what he has done so it doesn't even matter anymore god takes care of everything in time and he's tasting all the carma for being a phsycho over a spot. im curious how much does a pyramid reef cost? i thought about investing my money towards something that i love and be part of the solution in helping restore our reefs.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
i agree fishing is supposed to be fun i grew up doing it and still continuously fish , abiding by laws that were set forth both inland and offshore. i cant help i got on the wrong boat shit happens.. he paid for what he has done so it doesn't even matter anymore god takes care of everything in time and he's tasting all the carma for being a phsycho over a spot. im curious how much does a pyramid reef cost? i thought about investing my money towards something that i love and be part of the solution in helping restore our reefs.
WhY would you want to invest hundreds of dollars in a reef when someone will find it and fish the s?;t out of it and then tell you that you don't own that spot?

·
Registered
218 Posts
i just want to help build the structural habitat bigger than what it is so we have more places to fish in the future and the fish populations will grow bigger each year if people abide by limits and fishing regs. i love the water as much as all of you and i dont mind contributing to a better future

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
i just want to help build the structural habitat bigger than what it is so we have more places to fish in the future and the fish populations will grow bigger each year if people abide by limits and fishing regs. i love the water as much as all of you and i dont mind contributing to a better future

Rock on thecalmbeforethestorm, if all anglers approached the mighty G.O.M. with that attitude, she would definitely be a healthier fishery for all whom wish to drop a line or splash with a spear gun.
I prefer to fish natural bottom for many reasons, but have contributed to local reef programs for the reasons mentioned above. :thumbup:

Jimmy

21 - 40 of 54 Posts