Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any laws against sinking private wrecks offshore would i need a permit? just curious i saw how effective private numbers are the other day

Thanks

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
Yes you have to get a permit for a private wreck.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
since the subject is up...what happens if I find a private spot....how do I know, if some one comes around and tells me they own it, its private etc...do they have to have proof in hand, a art.reef/permit piece of paper with such numbers or something?...

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
No you do not have to have proof of purchase so to speak. Just a permit to dump said reef.

·
Registered
699 Posts
since the subject is up...what happens if I find a private spot....how do I know, if some one comes around and tells me they own it, its private etc...do they have to have proof in hand, a art.reef/permit piece of paper with such numbers or something?...
If you are asking what I think you are asking the only thing "private" on a reef you get permited and deployed is the numbers. If someone happens to find your "private" reef then that is just a chance you take. You can't tell the person that found it to leave cause it is yours, can't put up a no trespassing sign and so forth. Even though you paid to build it or purcahse it and have it permitted and deployed once it hits the Gluf floor it is technically fair game.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Private is the wrong term, more like unpublished reefs.

Like Ryan said, once it's down, it's anybody's to find -- and fish. And that's a good reason for a strong bottom machine and to always be watching the screen. You'd be amazed at how many spots you've passed up because you didn't know they were there.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
good to know guys, yeah...bottom machine is paying off finally....thanks. Clay I think i found one of your spots btw. :whistling:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
good to know guys, yeah...bottom machine is paying off finally....thanks. Clay I think i found one of your spots btw. :whistling:
hell, man, if you found one of clay's spots, it's prolly got fish all around it.
i know he ain't catching 'em.:thumbup:

jack

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
how would you obtain a permit for dropping an unpublished reef?
There is paperwork to fill out and requirements that have to be met. Basically the structure has to be made of steel, aluminum, or concrete. If it is metal the wall thickness needs to be 1/8 inch or greater. The unit needs to weigh 150lbs or more and be determined to be stable on the sea floor. There are permitted areas that allowed for reefs. They represent a couple of hundred square miles of sea floor. One zone to the east of the pass and one to the west. They start about 15 miles out of the pass SE or SW.

You contact escambia county and they send a guy out to take measurements and pics of your reef(s). This costs $25 for as many as you can handle in one load. Once you pay the money, there is a 5 day wait while the county send the packet to the army core of engineers to see if they want to bitch about your design. If you don't hear back from them then you get 30 days to go deploy the reef and you have to provide the army core of engineers the numbers through escambia county. They are not published.

I have gone through the process 4 times now and have deployed 18 units. Some have fish on them and some don't. Read though this section of the forum, it was discussed earlier and I think there is a link to the paperwork.

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,977 Posts
DreamWeaver21 hit the nail on the head, except for one important point.

The numbers are required to be provided (I know, I can't stand it, It's bull), but in order to safeguard the numbers and assure they aren't publicized, send the numbers to me in a PM. I'll coordinate with the county and Corp.

Sincerely,

swhiting
Dept of Safe Numbers

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
dreamweaver21 hit the nail on the head, except for one important point.

The numbers are required to be provided (i know, i can't stand it, it's bull), but in order to safeguard the numbers and assure they aren't publicized, send the numbers to me in a pm. I'll coordinate with the county and corp.

Sincerely,

swhiting
dept of safe numbers

lol

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
While you guys are on the topic of reefs and fish finders. Whats the best all around fishfinder/chart plottter that you have run accross. Getting a boat soon and i want my bottom machine to be incredible. Dont mind dropping a grand or two on one.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yea. One good rule to follow if you're thinking about putting your own stuff down is to treat the "private" stuff you find like it's yours. Don't fish it everytime you go. Let it "rest". Second. If you build your own instead of buying, know that it takes more than you think to produce a good spot. And density can be key. Get with someone who's consistantly built good stuff. You won't build a 150lb "hollow" rebar reef and get much out of it. Look at a chicken coup sometime. They work well but you won't put one out on a 21' center console.

·
Registered
84 Posts
and to think i had to bait claydoes hook for him, give him money for his scuba crap etc......havent got a single piece of fish or a spot to fish back from the claydoe!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
but he sure can catch a shark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:
way to go clayton.:thumbsup:
jack

1 - 20 of 54 Posts