Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont understand why there is such a seperation in these groups

charter boats are subject to the same limits as private boats,,,,,,,,,,however the capt and mate cant keep their catch like they usta

commercial boats or people with limited species liscenses are harvesting more than anyone else

a charter boat is a way for someone to go out that doesnt want to own or maintain a boat

lets understand that charter and commercial are different

after all how many private boat owners get donations for fuel when they go out?,,,,,,,,and the capt/owner can keep his catch

i support the charter boats as they are a large part of the local economy

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Call me a bootlegger or pirate if you wish... I have often taken folks (not strangers off the docks) out for a fee with out a 6 pack license. I informed them in advance that I wasn't a licensed skipper and that they were not going to do me any good if they tell FWC that they so much as contributed to my fuel costs or bait. Had there ever been an accident, I know I would be under the bus at first and under the jail later.

What i find offensive is that I can't have a circle of fishing buddies who openly support the trip or boat unless we create a "trust" or corporation.

My last boat was only a 29 footer with a 10 foot beam and twin "souped up" 351 fords... From Pt. Canaveral, if I ran hard out to 25+ miles, trolled all day and ran hard the 35-50 miles back, I put a very large dent in my 300 gallons of fuel. Back then, I think my dock side fuel cost was $2.25+. Normally, I smuggled my gas in 5 gal. cans in the night and fueled at the public ramp as I would get evicted from my slip for fueling on their place with my gas.

Factor in slip rent and all of the other expenses and this poor redneck had no choice but split the costs with other poor rednecks.

BTW, the statute of limitations has long expired on this admission of guilt...
Brent

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hoped by posting this that someone would realize that if the two groups united it may help as far as influence as a voting block,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,more people united can bring change quicker

·
Registered
76 Posts
HOTDOGS

I thought you could accept contibutions toward bait and fuel as long as it did not exceed actual cost and then was considered a profit?

·
Registered
12 Posts
A Salt Weapon (19/05/2010)HOTDOGS

I thought you could accept contibutions toward bait and fuel as long as it did not exceed actual cost and then was considered a profit?
exactly. as long as no one contributes more than their fair share towards ice, fuel, bait, food etc. it is not considered a charter for hire according to SeaSchool.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
The difference is CFH are business entities that charter for PROFIT and are regulated businesses . Private boats are just that private boats. I doubt that there are many CFH vessels that take people fishing for the fun of it and for free. Private boat owners do that all the time, there in lies the difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts