Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My family purchased another 50+ acres of land in Baker a few weeks ago. Looks like some decent hunting land.

I hate to do it but can't just have folks on the property.

·
Registered
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just came home from the property and it is actually very nice. Lots of hardwoods and creek bottom. Satellite view shows where someone has had a greenfield on the property.

As soon as I talk with my brother n law, I will probably post the exact location, just in case anyone knows who has been hunting it. I want them to get the news early, so they can make other plans.

·
Registered
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It usually goes pretty good, just getting the word out helps a lot.

The worst I've ever seen is when I was in a hunting club around Poplarville, MS. We took over some land that had been owned by a timber company and had always allowed folks to hunt by permit. The timber company didn't like all the trash etc., so they leased a big section to us as a club. The locals were a real problem for a few years.

·
Registered
704 Posts
A few jerks give the rest of us a bad reputation, if I don’t have written permission I won’t be there. I don’t want folks trespassing on my little bit of property either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,908 Posts
It usually goes pretty good, just getting the word out helps a lot.

The worst I've ever seen is when I was in a hunting club around Poplarville, MS. We took over some land that had been owned by a timber company and had always allowed folks to hunt by permit. The timber company didn't like all the trash etc., so they leased a big section to us as a club. The locals were a real problem for a few years.
You said it all when you said “Poplarville”... different breed of folks in that region.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's off Garett Mill Road

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk[/ quote]

There was a big rack buck shot standing in the Benoit’s old pasture on the northeast end of Garrett Mill Rd. back around 1999 and there use to be a good buck that crossed the road every now and then back in the 80’s when I still lived off Old Brown Rd. I’ve been in Baker since 1992 and haven’t traveled Garrett Mill much since then
That’s Milligan actually down that way but the postal service moved all mail routes to Baker. Now everything from the Alabama line south and west of Yellow River is a Baker address except for Holt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Poplarville...first wife was from there. It was excellent hunting at one time. I hunted for years around Boley Creek, White Sand Road, Holden Road, etc. Mainly north of Highway 26. What location in Poplarville?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
A man that works at Crestview Wholesale had permission to hunt some land on Garret Mill Road. Wonder if it is the same piece of property?

·
Registered
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Poplarville...first wife was from there. It was excellent hunting at one time. I hunted for years around Boley Creek, White Sand Road, Holden Road, etc. Mainly north of Highway 26. What location in Poplarville?
It was straight up Hwy 11. If I recall, about 15 - 20 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Someone is hunting it during deer season. I walked in yesterday and found several items. I took photos but left everything untouched.

See how my kin folk want to handle it. I can't see myself hunting it, I can't hunt what I have now.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Maybe once you figure out who is hunting it and if none of the family wants to hunt it offer it to them as a lease (with insurance). Folks who have a lease most of the time take good care of the woods and will keep unwanted people out.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe once you figure out who is hunting it and if none of the family wants to hunt it offer it to them as a lease (with insurance). Folks who have a lease most of the time take good care of the woods and will keep unwanted people out.

Just a thought.
If I got involved in something like that I would have a few guys on here mad at me. Lots of people looking for private land to hunt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts