Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wife a cypress porch swing. Now I want to make a stand for it. It will sit on concrete on our covered back porch.

I usually use pressure treated wood for anything going on the ground or even touching concrete that could get wet - but PT wood tends to warp when exposed to the sun. The back porch gets a lot of afternoon sun, and the wind does sometimes blow rain onto the porch.

So, what wood would you use for the stand?

I'm going to build something kind of like this.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Could always use yellow pine and treat it with a good stain/sealer. Or if you've got time, buy your pt wood a set it dry before building, stack it and strap it or weigh it down while it drys.

·
eating tasty
3,730 Posts
You could just use more cypress. There’s a place in holt on 90 that sells tons of cypress, all sizes and cuts and reasonable. Wilson Lumber.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to use cypress. I live in Panama City and need to see if I can find a place that sells Cypress. I did a search and made a couple of phone calls but nobody I called had it. I'm sure someone will.

I'd like to find something I could work with right away. My wife told me that she is eager to try swinging again, so I guess that's what she meant. Just kidding.

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
Id suggest cypress as well, needs more care annually than PT but worth it. Wilsons Lumber in Holt has tons. Worth a call see if maybe they supply to someone down that way, or make the drive

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's a covered back porch, why don't you hang it from the beams?
The porch is about 20 feet deep and I want it back from the edge so that it is in the shade as the sun is setting. The ceiling is vinyl on plywood which is attached to the trusses. I actually want to put the swing underneath the ceiling fan to keep us cool and keep the bugs off.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,881 Posts
Maybe go with 4"x6" posts or even 6"x6" posts or maybe 6"-8" telephone poles?
Timber products on ellyson field, corner of copter rd and ely rd., pensacola. 478-3554

1 - 12 of 12 Posts