Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The OLE Gushing Vein of Death.

Calling all siesmologists, oil engineers, & people with at least half of brain.

Ok, I'm neither of the above.

Now there is this big pocket of oil that the Deepwater Horizon drilled into. Now the Vein of Death is spuing outX amount of oil at X amount of pressure. I've heard that the waterpressure at the wellhead in 5000 ft. of water is 3200 psi. Now this vein isgushing out tremendously stonger than the3200psi.that is caused by the water pressure at that depth. Makes me wonder just what pressure the Vein of Death is spuing out???

Now my question is. I will try to make my point. I'm no english major at all. The pressure of the oil pocket is being released uncontrollably. When an oil well is producing oil, active well, do the well owners have to replace the removed oil with another liquid?? Could the uncontrollable leakage of pressure of said oil pocket cause an under water earthquake??? Could the oil pocket cave in on itself if the pressure is not maintained on the pocket of oil??? I know it may sound crazy but its just a thought I've had while thinking, with less than a half of brain,about the Vein of Death...If this massive cave in does occur, could the Gulf Coast be hit with a tidal wave??

Now if anyone else has a half of brain, then my half and your half will makea whole one. Maybe we can get an educated answer to the Vein of Death..

·
Registered
731 Posts
The pressure from the water at 5000' is going to be around 2200-2300 psi.

No, the oil is not replaced with another liquid. Sometimes operators will pump water into the zone to force more oil out.

No, there is no threat from a "cave in". The oil is trapped in porous rocks. There is still rock down there after the oil is produced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts