1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Been doing almost like that only I add about 1/2 teaspoon salt in open ziplock then put a little water in and set bag I sink push zipper down untill a little water comes out and zip it up. No air in and I have had some last longer than a year. I lost them in bottom of freezer and found them when freezer was changed out.

Reactions: MathGeek

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
This is absolutely terrible advice.

That faucet water is full of all sorts of chemicals (chlorine and fluoride just to name two) that will impart an unnatural taste on your fish. You're literally "marinading" the fillets in tap water.

Do some more research, there area A LOT of better ways out there...

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
i used to do that but the vacuum sealers are pretty good at making food last.
i have found 2 yr. packs in the bottom of the freezer and it wasn't too bad although about a year is good to go.

jack

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Hey the guy tried and it is a good idea. But yes way to much water in ziplock. Try what I said, very little water remains. Vaccuum sealing is about as good as wraping in celophane or waxed paper. Only a lot more trouble.
Another suggestion never put frozen anything in an upright freezer unless you are using it in short order. Every time you open the door on an upright it dumps a lot of the cold air out.

·
Banned
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have found 2 yr. packs in the bottom of the freezer and it wasn't too bad although about a year is good to go.

jack
We had a vacuum sealer for a few years and used it. I like the results, but since we catch most of out fish while travelling, we didn't want to pack one more thing. Besides, those needing some guidance here probably don't need to be told, "buy one more thing."

·
Banned
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My saltwater fish fillets never get touched by tap water, yuck. Chlorinated water has an negative effect.
There are places I've lived where the tap water had a negative effect. It's easy enough to use bottled water once you learn that. But there are places I've lived where using the tap water was fine.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
i remember the days when tap water in florida was sulfur water.
that was some nasty chit. it took a while to get used to it.
i guess that's why i just drink beer now instead of water.:whistling:

jack

Reactions: tiger297

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
All those chemicals in tap water evaporate if the water sits a while I always use toilet water for my fish in ziplocks, honestly try it.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
All those chemicals in tap water evaporate if the water sits a while I always use toilet water for my fish in ziplocks, honestly try it.
that nitrogen narcosis hitting you pretty hard, ron. come to your senses, dude.

jack

·
Green Eggs And Ham
11,948 Posts

jack

This, I have had fish a year later and it was great. If it had any weirdness to it I would never eat it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts