Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

With the Spring Cobia run just around the corner, I would like to find out what techniques you all are using to fish and land Cobia off a kayak. Obviously, sight fishing from a tower or pier is not going to work in a kayak so do you;

1. Anchor and chum, drift, or troll?

2. What baits or trolling lures have been successful?

3. How do you secure and subdue the fish before trowing it on your lap?

Thanks

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
Anchoring and chumming, drifting, trolling, etc. It all works. They will hit most baits thrown at them from a yak I'm guessing cause they don't feel any threat like they might from a boat. The biggest yak cobe I've caught was 52" on a topwater popper.

Make sure you tire them out THOROUGHLY before gaffing. Even then you are going to have to hold on good. Once he settles a bit, cut his gills and bleed him. Once dead then bring him aboard.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Fishing the nearshore wrecks in late April and May/June is your best bet. Dropping Live baits as you normally would and hanging out catching fish usually sparks a cobes intrest to come to the top and check you out...I had a 35lber next to my kayak last year that would not eat a live cigar minnow. The next month (June) I was hanging out on the bar when I saw a wake and I threw a live threadfin at it...a 50" cobe gobbled it up...I was close enough to the beach I just fought it until it tired out and then towed it to the beach. I think it all comes down to going alot and being in the right place at the right time when you are targeting cobia from the yak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts