Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to purchase a powerhead and I have some concerns/questions regarding them. I've done some research and heard some things, I want some forum feedback on this. I don't like the idea of a slip over the tip type because I don't feel like fumbling around with it when in a pinch. I've heard that some of the screw on models will fall off the shaft when shot (makes me wonder about the one sealark had for sale, found on the bottom). Also I know that Clay-doh has had issues with his predentonating when fired (Biller I think). I'm thinking maybe Beco... All opinions welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
if you are using a powerhead on a speargun, you need to have one that is spring loaded. beco is gonna be your best bet.the 45 cal that i owned was not, and would fire before it hit the target most of the time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
powerheads are not illegal in alabama. i see sharks all the time. i personally dont carry it, just bought it to see what it was like.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not interested in harvesting any gamefish with it, nor am I interested in shooting a shark, BUT they (sharks) are seen and should I ever put myself in a situation where one decides to get a bit more aggressive than I'd like I would like that as a back-up. It wouldn't be my first course of action but I would like the option available. Just another precaution I guess, don't see any harm in that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought a Beco 223 last year.I got it because the bulls were getting a little too frisky! But about the time I got it they quit showing up. So I havent fired it yet. It is the spring loaded model that can be fired from the gun. I think this will work better on a seperate small gun like a 48" or so. The reason I say that is the big sharks are smart and fast. They will dodge it if it is mounted to your gun...say side mount. I have tried to stick em when they get too close and the little ones you can hit sometimes but not the big ones. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Billybob (1/4/2008)Why would anyone need a power head around here??

game fish are illegal to shoot with a powerhead and sharks are seldom seen............

just wandering!

Powerheads are perfectly legel to harvest game fish as long as you are in federal waters.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
holy Spear-it (1/4/2008)I bought a Beco 223 last year.I got it because the bulls were getting a little too frisky! But about the time I got it they quit showing up. So I havent fired it yet. It is the spring loaded model that can be fired from the gun. I think this will work better on a seperate small gun like a 48" or so. The reason I say that is the big sharks are smart and fast. They will dodge it if it is mounted to your gun...say side mount. I have tried to stick em when they get too close and the little ones you can hit sometimes but not the big ones. My 2 cents.
Thanks, that is the kind of information I'm looking for. The.223 is what I was interested in should I eventually get one. That is good to know about the sharks "dodging" a mounted round. Does the spring help prevent pre-detonation?

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Seldom see sharks around here??????? I have seen a fair number of em this summer, even had to jab a couple pushy ones with my gun that wanted my AJ. Monday 3 diferent groups of divers saw the same agressive 8 footposturing shark on the same wreck thruout the day

Biller is spring loaded too....it just has too soft of a spring and predetonates if fired. simple fix is get a stronger spring, which I am goin to do.

Becos that are spring loaded have stiffer springs and, and the people I know who have them shoot them from a gun with no pre det probs.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All great info, thanks for the replies, I wouldn't have known that about the 25 fathoms had you not posted it Billybob. Thanks again guys, hope to see you under the water soon.

Josh

·
Registered
2 Posts
there is no need to use a powerhead around here. as for sharks i have never felt threatened by them in my experiance

chuncky love, why would you shoot useless fish like barracuda. can you not find some real fish like big snapper or grouper?

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Uhh Ohhh.......

Hae yu ever had someone in your house threating your family??? Probably not. But JUST IN CASE it ever mayhappen...bet you got a weapon in the house....don't you? Just cuz it hasnt happened to you yet.....doesnt mean it won't...and when , if ever it does...its nice to be prepared, and even out the odds. And I don't know how much you dive that you have NEVER felt threatened. Even in my limited experince.....there has been a couple times, once hitting the same shark twice with my gun to keep him away from my fish.

As far as the Cuda goes.....he was coming right for me in an aggresive manner, and was also putting my friends lives in jeporady. He had the intent to do great bodily harm to myself and others.It was a justifiable shooting officer.:letsdrink

By the way...nice first post! Look foward to more!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Way I heard it Clay, was that you were luring that Cuda in with some fresh Red Snapper that you caught outta season, you know, using them as bait and all. Heard you were bragging about it on Spearboard! Thats just the rumors going around though. I guess those grouper you shot last week, AND that 24 lb snapper you shot this summer weren'tvery respectable were they?!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Billybob... I don't know if you just got too much time on yer hands up in the backwoods or what...but you seem to have a lotta anamosity. (look that up for me with spell check incase I didnt spell it right...will ya?)

Worlds greates spearfisher....well shit....I never thought that...but somthin must rub ya the wrong way about me.....I don't shoot all that much fish...just get lucky once in a while when one swims by me and I happen to hit it....but for some reason...your mind came up with "worlds grereatest spearfisher"?????? WTF???

Sorry uer so bitter...maybe its yer age..I don't know...my grampa used to be a cranky sumbitch too.

I heard ya done said at the dive shop U would teach us how to shoot fish, and show us how its done....and we should put up some money. Glad yer feeling competitive...I ain't...I do this shit for fun....ry that one out. Never calimed to be good.

By the way...If you wanna be in Team Chunky Love so bad...you ain't gotta talk shit or start your other screen name "The Critter"...all you got a do is get a shirt! We take ole backwoods inbreds too!!!!!!! We don't discriminate! We would love to have yer cranky ass on the team! Especially as good as ya are at 25 fathoms!!! (WTF is a Fathom anyways????):letsdrink:letsdrink

·
Registered
2 Posts
soo we see that you have been talking a lot of crap on the forum about our dads,team chunky love???? you must be jealous because we eat fish 3 yimes (spell check that for me?)a week on our off weeks. you should see how much we eat on our good weeks. we are part of team chunky love, lil' chunkz. so dont hate the playerz, hate tha game.

·
Registered
2 Posts
look here billy bob. no body messes with team chunky love or the lil' chunkzz. we are dedicated members of team chunky love and we do not appreciate your negativity. theres is nothing else you can say to put us down because everyone knows us and we do this for fun. not competition. maybe we could teach you something one day. you will learn a lot. so dont leave mad, just leave!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts