Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1995 50hp Johnson two stroke with PTT and lately I have noticed that sometimes when trimming down with the motor the trim makes a knocking sound.........knock.........knock.......knock..........knock....... this can be with the engine running or off, doesn't matter, any ideas ??????

· Registered
2,097 Posts
My yamaha 200 does the same thing. Somehow, the pivot points stick and then release. My hydraulic steering ram seems to do it as well. It gets turned as the motor is tilted up.

Mine hasn't broke yet from it. I just keep on greasing all the available spots on it.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Two things that happen..... the trim rams are dry and need grease. However, that usually makes a bad growling with popping noise. The other.... the tilt tube at the motor bracket is dry and/or rusted/corroded and needs to be lubed or cleaned. If lubing it does not help, then the sure way is to pull the tilt tube out and either clean and lube it, or replace it. Usually corrosion builds up too much and the only way to fix it is to remove the tilt tube to clean everything.

· Registered
6,305 Posts
I'm going with Double D's answer. Mine did the same. The arms wasn't corrided (sp?) but inside was all gunked up. If you watch the arm bracket when letting the motor down or up you will see it. It will not move as the motor is rising and then all at once you will hear the pop and see the arm move about an inch allowing the motor to continue.

Just lubricanting didn't help mine. I had to replace the insides, it was to far gone.

I just re-read you 1st post. Yes, mine did that also at the beginning. It was a quick popping sound and I never noticed where is was coming from until it got to the point I was talking about. Yours sound like it can be saved with a cleaning and regrease of the parts.

If you live on the west side I will swing by this morning and show you what I'm talking about.

· Registered
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked and see no grease fitting for the PTT at all, fittings for engine but none for PTT. Deep apreciate the offer but I am in Navarre and have family in town. Dave (Davlor) thanks for the advice also, I am going to take it by SOS (Bill) (right by my house) Friday to have him take a look.

· Registered
8,515 Posts
CCC, is yours doing it when the motor starts hitting the trim rods, halfway till fully down?Or does it pop from fully up all the way? The reason I ask is wouldn't thiseliminate the tilt tube? Dave, your thoughts?

Skip

· Registered
8,515 Posts
Here's something to try and its easy. Tilt the motor all the way up, then turn the manual release screw (port side) to let the motor down. My thought behind this is if it is your pivot pin or the tilt rod it should still chatter, if it doesn't then it could be the tilt check valve inside.

Skip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.