Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a 1998 200HP Envinrude Ocean Pro outboardand the power tilt works just fine down but I cannot get it to tilt up. I'm getting negative function of the up trim and tilt on both the throttle handle switch and the switch on the side of the engine cowling. The battery voltage is 12 V or better and I don't see any load drain whenI try to operate either switch.

Any ideas? bad relay?, loose/ corroded connection? sell theboat and take up golf?

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
607 Posts
i had a 99 200 oceanpro. there's two relays on the port side of the motor side by side. I think that one is up and one is down for the tilt trim. i don't remember what is what. relays are cheap, go buy a two new ones and slap them in. Theres a few mechanics on the forum that can help you out also. they know their stuff.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I swaped the position of the two relays and still negative function on the up trim. I guess that means that it is in the motor??

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Not necessarly, locate the wires coming from the trim motor it self, determine if it is a 2 wire motor or 3 wire motor,

2 wire motor, 1 blue wire 1 green wire,, one wire to positive one wire to negative the motor should run, swap the wires and it should run the other direction,

3 wire motor, 1 blue wire 1 green wire and 1 black wire, black is ground, blue to power should go up, green to power should go down. this will test the motor. if it works then you have a wiring issue,,

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
If the tilt limit switch is stuck or bad, wouldn't that cause these symptoms? Indicating the motor is already in the full up position all the time. Just trying to help.

Skip

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, apparently it was a connection problem. Itook it loose at the connector below the relays and tested it as Kenny suggested (it was a two wire: red and green). It worked fine in both directions. Reconnected it and tried the switch...negative function in the up direction. Unconnected and tested again. Worked fine up and down. Reconnected... tested the switch. Worked fine up and down.:letsparty:letsparty

I'm sure it's waiting to ambush me 20 miles off-shore, but it appears fine for now. Tried it several time with both switches and not so much as a pause. Thanks Kenny. I owe you a beer.:bowdown Thanks for all the responses. Not sure what I would do without this place.:usaflag

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
You are quite welcome sir,, as always, I'm glad i could help a fellow fisherman... and forum member.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts