Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Evensplit,

Very well put. Risks are present anytime one ventures away from shore. Again, I know no details on this particular event, but there are times where the dive boat is the most effective and has the best trained personnel to handle a dive accident. Obviously, having a chamber on site would be nice, but recreational divers are not as fortunate as the Navy or Commercial guys when it comes to that. With all of that being said, I would be more than willing to put together an Emergency Management night at MBT. It would be nice to brief everyone on the conclusions that Baptist, the Coast Guard, and divers came up with. We could also add in emergency oxygen provider course. I'll look at some dates and let everyone know.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Evensplit (11/15/2009)Fishermen and boaters in general need to keep this in mind as well. There's no swift rescue for ANYONE at sea.

First I would ask God's blessings on this man and his family.

Secondly, we make conscious, informed, (hopefully), choices on our activities. This man chose to dive. Many times we may have elected to take chances for a variety of reasons and survived.

I have the highest regard for our Coast Guard and all of our public safety personnel who have chosen their careers. We were not drafted! I chose to be a firefighter and over my 29 years, put my life and the lives of my people on the line many times because some citizen made a bad choice and we were expected to rescue them. How much tax money and how many rescue personnel live's should we risk because someone CHOSE to partake in an activity?

Lastly, I would ask God's blessings on those who have chosen to put their lives on the line for others!

·
Registered
168 Posts
"How much tax money and how many rescue personnel live's should we risk because someone CHOSE to partake in an activity?"

IMHO - as long as there is a possibility to save a life, as much as it takes. People choose their line of work just the same as choosing a hobby, you know the risks of the job. If the risk/reward/pay factor doesn't feel right, then you move to another line of work. (We waste dax dollars on enough other stupid stuff - Remember the Navy using sonar to hunt JFK Jrs. plane? They wouldn't do that for most of us). After confirmed death or conditions are deemed impossible to survive, the only reason for a response is for the family not the victim.

Anytime we head out on the water we all face varying degrees of risk, but rest assured it is always there.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
My family's prayers go out to the diver's family. Bottom line is accidents will continue to happen and life goes on. Hopefully there was a lesson learned from this tragedy. As a Marine Corps Instructor of Water Survival and holder of 2 PADI certs (Open Water and Waterborne Tactical Diver) I know I sometime push the envelope and we all think we're bulletproof but the truth is we're not and there's consequences for our actions; sometimes fatal.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Desperado (11/15/2009)"How much tax money and how many rescue personnel live's should we risk because someone CHOSE to partake in an activity?"

IMHO - as long as there is a possibility to save a life, as much as it takes. People choose their line of work just the same as choosing a hobby, you know the risks of the job. If the risk/reward/pay factor doesn't feel right, then you move to another line of work. (We waste dax dollars on enough other stupid stuff - Remember the Navy using sonar to hunt JFK Jrs. plane? They wouldn't do that for most of us). After confirmed death or conditions are deemed impossible to survive, the only reason for a response is for the family not the victim.

Anytime we head out on the water we all face varying degrees of risk, but rest assured it is always there.
We dont know if the diver "Chose" that depth. He may have had a problem before that depth. I also think the navy or some govt entity would look for any plane downed in the gulf. We are not always in controll out there. Its very easy to get into troubleeven on the calmest of days. We become complacent, etc. Prayers for the family & crew.:angel

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have treated several civilian an navy divers ,it still amazes me as to how an why some divers get in the situations that snowball so quickly . my prayer go out to him an his love ones . bleeding in lungs would no doubtely be arterial gas embolizem . i would only hope he had a dive buddy how could shead some light on this to maybe help others as what could are might have gone so wrong, the other poster was right type 2 -pain under preasure - an age all reguire a chamber on site to have the best out come . althoug health condtions , phisical fitness an other factors to consider to bad charter arent reguired to have chambers an dmo are dmt on deep dives would probably save a few lives. but cost would put them out buissness. everyone be safe out there. please

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Diving is inherently dangerous and every diver should accept this fact. A massive heart attack, an arterial embolism, or other such occurence underwater will almost every time result in a fatality. Even if the CG helo were based out of NAS Pensacola, the results would, most likely, have been the same. That said, my prayers are with the family. :angel

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
I have heard through the great-vine that this guy was'nt a diver.. He jumped off another boat, to see if he could reach the O and come back up.. (Freediving) is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
wld1985 (11/16/2009)I have heard through the great-vine that this guy was'nt a diver.. He jumped off another boat, to see if he could reach the O and come back up.. (Freediving) is there any truth to this?
That's what Channel 3 reported, and it's WAY off.He was a tech diver diving a rebreather.

·
Registered
171 Posts
First off i am not a diver nor a captain of a dive boat. And if better planning had of been put into the idea of sinking the O things might be different on some situations out there. Like why would you not have planned ahead and gotten the coast guard on board to have gotten a helo over here permantly on NAS to be there when you needed it?

Now grant you sometimes it may not even have helped but i am willing to bet sometimes it would make a hell of a diffrence. It was just so important for that ship to be put where it was put at the time and its been great for the area. But it will only be a matter oftime before it gets a bad wrap because of the fact that there is not help for a diver or crew member or a boat for that matter that cant get the help when needed.

Anything can happen. The planners should have planned for the worst and hoped for the best. I just will never understand why this didnt happen from the get go. But im sure there are more educated people than i who plan such things. But when i plan a big event in my life i make sure all my ducks are in a row b4 i ever start. And yes things happen but i can usually have the remedy right at hand.

But i will pray for all of your fine folks who dive the o and hope that nothing goes amiss. Maybe they could start a buddy boat system. I know it would cost extra for a fast boat to hang out with the dive boats but if you can not get help from anyone else it might be a really good investment to have a spare plan like a fast bubby boat to go out with each dive charter. Then again maybe im just too stupid to understand it all. Bless you all and enjoy your dives. Please make sure you have life insurance that covers your love ones if you can.Because for all the fun you are having imagine how your family will fare if you do not make it back home.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Caver2130 (11/14/2009)I don't know any details of the accident on the Oriskany today, but the Coast Guard has basically said that for dive accidents on the Oriskany, the quickest transport is the dive boat. Their closest helo is in New Orleans.
That doesn't sound right. Just about everyweekend during the summer I see an Orange Coast Guard Helo land at the Destin Coast Guard Station, there is no way they don't have a Helo that services the ports of Pensacola, Destin, and Panama City.

·
Registered
34 Posts
more planing would have been nice, they should have cut the island off the flight deck an sunk it in 140ft of water an put the island next to it . man what a reef that would have been to be able to to go inside the hanger deck an shoot fish. wait a minute ,people would have got lost inside our disoriented are somethin. its human nature to push the limits of every thing we do. no matter what happened last sat out there. it will probably happen again . sonner than later . dont let it be you nooooooo your limits. plan your dive an dive your plan . be safe everyone

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
My heart goes out to the family, this was very sad. I listened on the radio, and felt damn helpless.

It really puts diving the O into perspective. The Captain that I trained under said they would pull some bodies off of it before it was through, he was totally against putting it in that deep of water. I just applied for my 100 ton and may get all the diving certs depending on what I end up running, but I won'trun trips to the O.

I hope everyone is up to date on their CPR. My biggest fear while decking has always been having to do CPR ona kid or something 40 miles offshore with no help coming. On a related note, I know the guy who recesitated the man who flipped his trike amonth ago (he was a medal of honor recipient). He didn't make it, but at least they were able to get him to a hospital and have the chance to try. We were in class when my buddy got the call abouthim dying, and it was ROUGH. Seeing a grown man brought to tears over the death of a complete stranger is profound, it gave me a new perspective on things.

·
Registered
156 Posts
"""<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt width="80%">

<DIV style="DISPLAY: inline" id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');">Crappie1962, I can assure you that the members of the Marine Resource committee did consider emergency response before the big O was sunk. The reason that there is a co-ordinated plan for rescue is the result of a meeting of the CG, Navy, State Patrols from Florida, Alabama, the country Sheriff's of Escambia, Santa Rosa, the 911 operators of Escambia, Santa Rosa, Walton and Baldwin counties to put together a plan in about 2001. </DIV>

<DIV style="DISPLAY: inline" onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');">Unfortuately although the Navy may have a chopper, it might not be staffed or avaialable for civilian use. The CG does not have a chopper stationed at NAS Pensacola station and sees no reason to have one there. As noted, even with a chopper on scene, the outcome in this case would not have been any different. I have cared for a number of dive victums as a physician and was involved in developing rescueprotocol in S. Calif--where we had far more dive accidents. None of the choppers available in this area will land on the beach, and The CG station is designated as the entry into the EMS system in this area.</DIV>

<DIV style="DISPLAY: inline" onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');">There we required all commercial dive boats to have: 1. an underwater recall device, and 2. a dinghy to help get divers back to the main vessel in case of emergency. I submit that these items should be required in these waters. The best plan is to put out the mayday call, get underway to the CG station ASAP. The CG vessels are not all that fast, and often take a few minutes to get underway, even if they happen to be at the station. </DIV>

<DIV style="DISPLAY: inline" onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'456\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');">The loss of life is very sad, and our prayers go to the family of the man who died.</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

21 - 39 of 39 Posts