Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now i have a cheap pelican that i drag across every surface and i dont care if it gets scratched up but om looking at getting a nicer kayak and i was thinking about a kayak skid plate.i was thinking about putting a thin piece of alluminum on the bottom so i could drag it across any surface such as tree stumps/roots, concrete, oysters shells, rocks, and sand.ive tried the wheels but some of the places i go it makes it more work with the wheels than just dragging it.feel free to call this the dumbest idea but i was just thinking of an easier way to launch my kayak.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive used bothe the wheelez and the black plastic ones.the wheelez work really good on sand but most of the time i launch in pretty rough trails.

One qheel might qork a little better.do you know how i could mount it.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
what about the keel guard they sell for boats? surely they have a "flat" version, i would think, that would work on the bottom of a yak. Or, a block or two of nylon or teflon kinda stuff where the contact happens.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you are going to bond aluminum make sure you chamfer the forward edge and round the corners. Also make sure the bond (glue) covers the whole piece you dont want unbonded spots. Strip the bond side to ensure that you remove the protective coating it comes with, and seal the edges, then clear coat it. I wouldnt use any less than .040 (fourty thousanths). Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You really don't want to do that for the following reasons:
1) Pelicans are already excessively heavy for their size, it'll be even harder to drag/carry than it already is.

2) Pelican's on their own have pretty crappy floatation/carrying capacity. You're gonna significantly reduce how much gear you can carry not to mention your safety factor if the hull is compromised in any way, you're going down!

3) Aluminum much more rigid than plastic. Those 2 different materials will heat up and flex differently from each other as they heat up/cool down. I.e., when it's sitting out in the sun on your car or truck or even the sand, and then cools all of a sudden when it gets in the water. The aluminum will flex much less and you risk having the plastic ripped apart.

You'd be much better off getting a set of rubber wheels like from a wheelbarrow or something and constructing a frame out of schedule 80 PVC (the thicker gray stuff not the white kind). Also, don't make it the kind that fits through your scuppers since this can stress the scuppers and the post probably won't line up with any other kayaks but that one. Make a cradle design and hook it on with bungees.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Also, 2 things about a kayak cart.
1) Get the BIGGEST wheels you can find!

2) Most people make the mistake of putting the cart under the back end of the kayak and then complain about how heavy it is. Well of course it's going to be heavy if the cart is behind the balance point of the kayak! You end up have to lift up AND pull forward. Put the cart further forward, usually under or right behind the seat and it'll take the weight so you only have to pull forward.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
645 Posts
Also, 2 things about a kayak cart.
1) Get the BIGGEST wheels you can find!

2) Most people make the mistake of putting the cart under the back end of the kayak and then complain about how heavy it is. Well of course it's going to be heavy if the cart is behind the balance point of the kayak! You end up have to lift up AND pull forward. Put the cart further forward, usually under or right behind the seat and it'll take the weight so you only have to pull forward.

Good luck!
Alex
I agree with number 2!! That's why I didn't buy the one that goes through the scuppers. And I got the huge wheels!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use the Wheeleez with the fat beach tires, b/c I mostly launch in the sand. Like Yaqsquatch said, right below the seat and it's a breeze. Found them on the net for $100 bucks. Save up, don't drag your yak !!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt plan on doing it to the pelican kayak but i was thinking of doing it to a better type if kayak like a tarpon.i agree it probably wont work but i was just thinking of ideas.ill probably just go with a friend when i launch in rough places so we can just carry it down.thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't get the impression that you were going to permanently mount it to your yak, but if that was your intention from the start, how about finding a way to use a bungee or strap the attach it temporarily so you could remove it when you get to your lauch spot. I would not consider attaching it permanently. I'm thinking a similar setup for my OK scrambler. The top, back end has wear from repeated loading on top of my SUV (dragging the yak upside down to place the nose on the roof rack). I just bought an Outback and don't want to have the same thing happen to this one.

·
Registered
671 Posts
How about using a piece of carpet with either a line or bunges on the front corners that you can clip/tie to the topside of the yak while the rug is under the yak. Then when you get to the water, you can just roll it up and store in the front hatch. Or, you can just drag that sucker over everything like I did with my Pelican. The hulls are really thick and I drug mine over seawalls and rocky driveways. The worst mar I ever got was from a submerged oyster covered stump - it is still without leaks (a tleast from the hull).

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
... i was thinking of doing it to a better type if kayak like a tarpon...
The great thing about kayaks is making up all kinds of stuff from scratch to customize your boat. However, if you do something like that to a nice kayak like a tarpon or trident or something, we're gonna have to hunt you down!!!

It's all good, I'm just giving ya crap. :hammer2: :fishslap:
Keep brainstorming man, I'm sure you'll be able to build something that'll get the job done.

Good luck and welcome!!!
Alex

1 - 14 of 14 Posts