Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

What type of tournament would you like on the gulf coast?

• Offshore

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Inshore

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Does'nt matter, lets compete for fun and prizes!

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • I am not interested in a tournament.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know me and my team would be down for some tournaments. As JD7 has stated the number of people fishing offshore has increased dramatically and I think getting people excited for a tournament would be easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also a live weight-in is a must. It's one of the most exciting parts of a fishing tournament. Plus, it brings in fans and an audience. More eyes for sponsors=more successful fishing tournament.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
Does everyone launch from the same site? If so, I can see the significance of a non-kill tourny. I don't see how a live-weigh yak tourny would work. Specks don't do well on stringers. Reds do fine but I'm still keeping it for dinner.

I think the GCKFA spring tourny is a great model for the kind of tourny that would have the most success around here. It's fun as hell...start to finish. The only thing missing (imho) is a more convenient place for the weigh-in...the amphitheatre at Big Lagoon State Park has tons of parking, tons of shaded seating, a stage and is not subject to bridge/gulf breeze traffic. Traffic and parking are the WORST at shoreline park...only bad thing about the spring tourny to me.

A two day tournament would be supremely awesome too...btw ;)

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
In the live-weigh version...is there an extra penalty for fish bitten in half by sharks? Technically, it's prolly under-slot at that point.

...and I can't imagine a livewell that will keep a 6# trout alive AND fit in a kayak.

Come on guys...live weigh-in???

·
Registered
18 Posts
In the live-weigh version...is there an extra penalty for fish bitten in half by sharks? Technically, it's prolly under-slot at that point.

...and I can't imagine a livewell that will keep a 6# trout alive AND fit in a kayak.

Come on guys...live weigh-in???
I don't think anyone would bring in a fish that has been bitten in half by a shark. I just think it would be awesome to actually see what people caught.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I shouldn't have used the word live. I meant it as in everyone is there and sees the fish. I wouldn't care if the catch was alive or dead. I fish offshore mostly and there is no way a King Mackerel is living to a weight-in.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
EllijayFalconsFan said:
I shouldn't have used the word live. I meant it as in everyone is there and sees the fish. I wouldn't care if the catch was alive or dead. I fish offshore mostly and there is no way a King Mackerel is living to a weight-in.
I get it now...you were saying the weigh-in itself is live, not the fish lol. Gotcha. My bad. My jaw hit the floor last night when I misinterpreted that...

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
A CPR offshore tournament for mackerel will NOT be fun. Its hard enough getting a 40" mackerel posed right for a good pic in a yak, let alone one good enough to win a tournament!

Can the GCKFA chime in and tell us more about the decline in tournament attendance in our area? Ive only fished it the last two years and it seems like every one says its getting bigger every year.

·
Registered
947 Posts
We are all for more tournaments, there is room in the calendar for more than one. My comment was meant to say we would prefer to work closely with another tournament group rather than work at cross purposes.

The GCKFA tournament in 2014 is scheduled for May 27th, so a late April/May event would be problematic. Personally, I dont think a CPR event is a good idea, my experience with a previous tournament was negative - the judging was very subjective, was done in secrecy, took too long to process and was rife for manipulation. Admittedly, my experience was based on a single event, but none of us that were there will go back. We have discussed our tournaments impact on the local fishery with experts and they have assured us that our tournament is not an issue. And I do think the weigh-in is a huge draw for anglers and spectators. We want to make sure the weigh-in is entertaining.

JD - as for the numbers, it is increasing every year. Last year, we had 191 entries. We are planning for 200 plus next May. We started in 2006 with 48.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here are a few things you should know about our CPR weigh in process before you nix the idea:
The Kayak Fishing ClassicS shares all the gathered data on fish caught with various marine research organizations. This would not be possible with a kill tournament and the data from a CPR tournament is very important. We designed our own measuring tape that is in 1/10th increments. We measure to the last 1/10th the fish tail touches so there is no decisions based on interpretation. Our CPR weigh in process takes us about 30 minutes to process everyone. All scores, photos and recorded data is open to everyone during the weigh in and before we announce the winners. In fact we invite anyone that wants to take a look to do so before the announcements. We also have a third party view all data and scores to make sure there are no mistakes. CPR allows for larger fish to be entered in tournaments in stead of only slot limit sizes. We have found that larger size entry makes for some excitement as well as very useful data.
We usually have our weigh in at a water front restaurant where everyone has a beverage and a sandwich while we enter the data. It works very well.
In a kill tournament there are many event target species taken from the waters at one time. This can have a negative impact we are told. Just some info for you to think on. We appreciate all points of view and glad you are up for an event.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How about a 2 day event: 1 day inshore and 1 offshore?
Offshore are catch and keep and inshore are CPR.
An angler could fish both days either inshore or offshore is also possible.
Just throwing it out there. This is for you so just let us know and keep the input coming.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
Please don't think I'm just being a party pooper here. I'm not trying to piss on anyone's parade, just calling it like I see it.

You've said that attendance falls off after a tourny or two and you can't figure out why. CPR just doesn't sound fun to a lot of us around here. That's the reason attendance falls off. You give us a series that is as fun as the GCKFA tourny and I promise you'll see the attendance issues disappear. I don't think fish populations a going to suffer from having a kill tourny because we are all probably going to be killing our limits of fish on that weekend anyways (or trying to). If anything, I keep fewer fish during tournies because I'm not keeping the small fish that I'd normally keep for dinner...only the ones I think will place. As long as we're not all launching from the same place, the regs are going to protect the fish populations well enough.

...and you can get all the info you need from dead fish just as well as you can from pics of live ones.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Picking a date for our tournament is always very difficult - unlike most other kayak tournaments, we have offshore and inshore, so we have to be late enough in the year to favor fishing offshore. We check predicted tides and moon phases for every saturday for 3 months. We schedule around school breaks, holidays, nearby tournaments, you name it. Lastly, we have to be able to reserve the facility at shoreline park. I acknowledge that it conflicts with other events, but its a compromise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It now appears Crystal Clear that everyone wants more tournaments and everyone's feelings on weigh ins appear to be being taken under consideration by tournament staff. So lets discuss locations!

Discussed locations we have so far -

Pensacola:
  • Inshore - Big Lagoon / Swamp House / Jim's Fish Camp
  • Offshore - Ft Pickens / Johnson Beach
Destin
  • Inshore - Eden ground state park or Santa Rosa sound(Woodlawn)?
  • Offshore - Henderson Beach?
Panama City
  • Inshore - East bay?
  • Offshore - St andrews?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts