Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

What type of tournament would you like on the gulf coast?

• Offshore

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Inshore

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Does'nt matter, lets compete for fun and prizes!

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • I am not interested in a tournament.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kayak Fishing Classics tournament series has recently reached out to me in hopes that i can help them gather information about this area. They are interested in hosting a series of tournaments here on the Gulf Coast. Their tournament series has been very successful in southern Florida giving away over $120,000 in sponsor gear and 6 kayaks in 2013!

Looking towards a 2014 series I would like any input you guys can provide to help me help them. Please remember your input is critical to ensuring that Kayak Fishing Classics can come up to the gulf coast and establish an effective tournament series.

Input we are looking for is -
Would you be interested in competing in a tournament series here on the gulf coast?

What type of tournaments would you be more likely to participate in, inshore? offshore? Doesn't matter?

Any thoughts on locations to host the tournament?

Is there anyone who I could reach out to for more input on this subject?

Thank you for all of your input. Keep up the fishing!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
We only had ONE kayak tournament this year with an offshore division. There are tons of guys that fish offshore now and having a tournament with an offshore division would be GREAT!

Late April into May and September or October would be ideal, mid summer fishing can be tough but if that means more participants Im still good for any time of the year.

This area has a large, and ever growing kayak fishing community but other then the FANTASTIC spring tournament the GCKFA puts on, we are woefully lacking any other opportunity for competitive fishing and I believe any well run tournament would bring in plenty of anglers.

Feel free to give me a shout, number is listed in my sig.

·
Registered
947 Posts
We have talked about this in the past - a tournament trail along the gulf coast with the kayak fishing clubs along the coast hosting and running the event. Perhaps it is time to start that discussion again. It would be easier to coordinate if we worked with the clubs so as to not to cannabalize their existing events.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
We have talked about this in the past - a tournament trail along the gulf coast with the kayak fishing clubs along the coast hosting and running the event. Perhaps it is time to start that discussion again. It would be easier to coordinate if we worked with the clubs so as to not to cannabalize their existing events.
That would be great BUT I think having a different tournament as well would be great for the area. Did the Miller Lite Tourney cannibalize anything? No.

A different venue with different sponsors/prizes would in no way hurt GCKFAs Spring Tournament if that is what you are worried about.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I would be in. Inshore would be easier because you dont have to pick and choose your day so much, weather wise. But offshore would be more fun i think. Ive talked to allot of yakers recently and they almost all have said they are a little nervous about fishing offshore. Let me know if there is anything i can do to help to make this a reality and a success.

Scott

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Offshore in the kayaking world is really just beyond the breakers but we still get all of the snapper grouper and trigger any one else does, even the occasional "blue water" fish like Wahoo mahi tuna and sailfish!

As for the weather, we have it made up here. If the guys down south can run two offshore tournaments with big turn outs and big prizes in the big waters of the Atlantic, we surely can do it in the Pond of Mexico.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JD7.62 -
In regards to offshore 'shotgun' tournaments, the risk of conditions is definitely a concern. Have you noticed a time of the year where it is consistently smoother? In the fall with these 'north' winds, in the spring? I will likely be taking you up on your offer for assistance. ;)

FLSalomon -
Kayak Fishing Classics definitely does not want to alienate any of the local clubs. This is exactly why this discussion has began so that they can coordinate the perfect time and place to hold a tournament that everyone can compete in and have a chance at tons of Sponsor Gear.​

Realtor -
If offshore is decided upon this would be defined as the species and brackets are setup for the tournament. The current inshore kayak fishing classic tournaments are a CPR (catch photo release) tournament lineup that involve catching an aggregate of 1 or more species of fish. This years inshore tournaments were laid out like so,

• Mosquito Lagoon - 3-Redfish
  • Banana River Kars Park - 2-Red, 1- Trout
  • Fort Pierce Round Island - 1-Snook, 1-Red, 1 Tarpon, 1 Trout
  • Sebastian Long Point/Wabasso - 1-Tarpon,1 Trout, 1- Snook, 1-Red
  • Indian River - 3-Reds
  • Tampa Bay - 3-Redfish
  • Fort DeSoto - 2-Red, 1- Trout
  • 10,000 Islands Evgl. City - 1-Snook, 1-Red, 1-Tarpon, 1-Trout
  • Pine Island - 1-Snook, 1-Red, 1-Tarpon, 1-Trout
  • Ozello - 3-Reds

Parrothead / Spec-tacular
Thank you.​

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All of your input has been very helpful. Also, thank you to everyone who voted, please keep them coming!

What is everyones thoughts on Locations for both inshore and offshore? For instance - Panama city has a growing kayak community as well, would destin be a good 'middle' ground for both the Pensacola and Panama city kayak communites to converge and battle it out?

Some examples of locations to start discussion (These are just starter ideas) :thumbsup:

Pensacola:
  • Inshore - Big Lagoon?
  • Offshore - Ft Pickens?
Destin
  • Inshore - Eden ground state park or Santa Rosa sound?
  • Offshore - Henderson Beach?
Panama City
  • Inshore - East bay?
  • Offshore - St andrews?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Depending on time of the year , we can also put in somewhere like the Swamp house or Jim"s fish camp, Simpson River. Ft. Pickens or big Lagoon are good also. How about Johnson Beach or Orange Beach ??
Just suggestions

Scott

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello Everyone,
The KFCTS is expanding in 2014 with 5 divisions. We would love to have a division in your area as well. We are of course looking for as much feedback that we can get so please ask your kayak fishing friends to weigh in on this. The more information that we receive the sooner we can make our final selection. Our concern is in past years there have been plenty of events in your area and then the attendance just fell off. Not sure why? You live and fish in one of the most beautiful areas in the world and the fishing is fantastic both inshore and offshore. We can do either or one of each if that is what you would like. It's your call and of course we always try not to conflict with any tournaments. We will be setting the remainder of the 2014 schedule soon and look forward to hearing from many of you. We thank all of you for your feedback and hope to meet you soon.

Attachments

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
You had me all kinds if excited until you said "catch-photo-release", that's so boring! I think the best part of a tournament is pulling that fat-daddy trout out the cooler to weigh it in. CPR might as well be an online tourny...

I'd be all-in if there was an actual weigh-in. With species like speckled trout, the one-over-slot limit adds a whole other degree of difficulty. "What do I do with this 23" speck...keep or release with confidence I can catch a bigger one?"

I think there would be quite a few guys sign up for a CPR tourny but a lot of us want to actually SEE fish at the weigh-in and it prolly won't see anywhere near the numbers of the GCKFA spring tourny without a weigh-in. Who wants to go see a bunch of guys walk up holding their smartphones???

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
I am curious now...how does the "weigh-in" go down in a cpr tourny? Do you just show your pic to a judge and take a seat? Does the crowd get to see the pic? IS there a crowd? Are the leaders kept secret til the end or is there a leaderboard like at a weigh-in? You're gonna have to sell this to me...just sayin. I'm VERY interested in fishing any inshore kayak tourny around here but I wanna have some FUN doing it. I'm not in it to win a prize, I'm in it to experience the tournament atmosphere and watch big-ass fish hit the scales.

I can't express how disappointed I was to read the cpr thing. I've seen 25" redfish that weigh a pound more than a 26" redfish, some just have thicker "shoulders".

...and tell me if I'm wrong fellas. There isn't a better TASTING fish than one that just won you a trophy!

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's really interesting and I like the concept of live fish weigh in. We would not rule out a live fish weigh in however we need to hear more form everyone so we can move forward. Thank you very much for bringing this up.

·
Spec-yakular!
798 Posts
I dnt think a live fish weigh in is all that good of an idea! Gonna be tuff to keep a trout or redfish thats caught at 6:30 am alive for 6-8hrs in a kayak! I think we are thinking of a regular weigh in like the GCKFA tournament! Without a live well i thits its kinda pointless to try to have a live fish weigh in! I dnt know of anyone who has a live well on the kayak! I know i dnt on my trident!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts