Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site and the area (Daphne, AL). I have almost talked my wife into buying a boat. The undecided factor is an air conditioner. She wants a weekender/cruiser with A/C and I want a WA, both will be used for fishing and weekend fun. The question is, has any one ever used one of the portable air conditioners that you can put on top of an ice chest to cool the cabin and how well did it work?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Get what bluffman posted and it should work on all boats about the size of mine. I have a nice walk around cuddy for sale on here. With the unit bluff posted in my boat you will be under the covers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are looking at boats for a WA around 22 to 25 feet or a weekender around 24 to 26 feet.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
ce550 (12/28/2009)We are looking at boats for a WA around 22 to 25 feet or a weekender around 24 to 26 feet.
keep the door closed and youll enjoy a good cool nights sleep!

BTW get a spare battery (12 volt) and it will last the better part of 1-2days/nights.....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ive worked on boat a/cs for 20+ years what you need to know is a real A/C uses shore or and ship power 115v or220v ship power IE a generatorso if you dont have a generator on board your going to get hot as far as 12V systems Areal A/Csusally are engine driven 12v battery for the clutch like a car A/C not to mention refrigeration again generator with a inverter set up but thats another story as far as what bluffman2 has shown ya Im sure He means well but that stuff IE block ice with a fan Trust me she wont be happy I have a Wife I know that set up will only piss her off as she is sweating and swearing every word thats not in the bible at ya you wont be able to enjoy a cold one get a real portable A/c A carry on one that has a compressor/fans and a t/statkinda like a window unit but they mount on top of the cabin thru a skylight they are 115v if needed a portable genny If you dont believe me wait till summer put her in a hot car like 120+degs cause thats how hot it will get in tha cabin without A/C put ablock of ice with a fan blowing over it an see if it will cool ya down LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
I would consider a portable A/C for the hatch over the cuddy, like most sailboats have, and then a small generator on the swim platform, both air cooled.

Some boatshave marine air built into the vessel, and then power it also with a small air cooled generator, like a Honda. Marine air is a maintenance item.

But if you are going to spend time on overnight trips sleeping, do think hard about A/C.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have one of these I'd like to part with. Been meaning to get around to posting on here, but have some other items I want to move as well. Used this on an old Grady W/A, but it's a little big for my current boat. Make me an offer, I need the $$$ and the room in my garage. It fits over a cabin hatch.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
BananaTom (12/30/2009)I would consider a portable A/C for the hatch over the cuddy, like most sailboats have, and then a small generator on the swim platform, both air cooled.

Some boatshave marine air built into the vessel, and then power it also with a small air cooled generator, like a Honda. Marine air is a maintenance item.

But if you are going to spend time on overnight trips sleeping, do think hard about A/C.
'Nana Tom that's just what I posted I have for sale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts