Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl01_lblFullMessage">Scalloped Saturday on opening day. My last trip on opening day. Lots of very small scallops but very few large enough to fool with. We only did it one day so we may have just not located them. There were about a million boats there though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Was at Port St Joe Saturday too. First time on opening day - gosh I only saw half a million boats. The police did a great job of keeping the downtown boat ramp flowing as smoothly as possible& the ba seball team boosterswere offering shuttle rides to thedistant parking lots. We hit about 8 spots and had nothing but a good time & tiny throw back scollops till the last stop & then got less than a gallon. The bay is as pretty as ever and full of life - urchins, pufferfish, pen shells, crabs, flounder, starfish, horse conk, sponges. All easily seen snorkeling - hope the bay avoids any oil.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We didn't scallop right around the state park boat ramp. We hit all around Blacks Island, the far south end of the bay, and out at the pass. There were none at the pass and you couldn't get up to shore because of the booms.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We had a really cool weekend over there. My wife booked a great hotel with a marina in Apalachicola and we checked in Friday night. To our disappoinment, we learned that the scallops were nowhere near there. I looked at my GPS and considered the run outside to St. Joeof about 25 miles in a bay boat. Sat morning we motored over to Scipio Creek Marina and a local told us about the "ditch" cutting over to St Joe and gave us great directions to run up the Apalachicola River and take the canal over to the bay. The GPS map backed up his directions and we had a great 45 min ride through a beautiful river to St Joe Bay. We hit 4 or 5 spots behind Blacks Island with only a few small scallops. Finally we found a spot with mixed grasses and were picking them up several at a time. We loaded up within an hour and headed back to Apalachicola for some "beer drinking/scallop cleaning". The FWC officer even stopped by while we were cleaning not to question our catch but to point out a manatee with a tracking bouy in the canal for our daughter to see. The next morning we explored Apalachicola Bay and ran across a school of juvinile tarpon. I threw jigs and plugs at them for a half and hour with no luck until a school of dolphin showed up and scattered them. We hit a few creeks after that with only catfish to show. We had a great time and can't wait to get back. Already have a campsite booked for 7/10 at St. Joe Preserve.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
JUST got Home (6/23 midnight CST) ... took the Nephews to snorkel and Scallop , and Fish a bit ... although we didn't see as many as last week , the ones did get were much bigger :hungry ... gonna clean and eat them in the morning , sunburned and tired !! :doh ... we met up with some other Kayakers that had Fished the West side of the spot at the State Park that morning and he and his Wife had several NICE Redfish !! ... going back again next week !! :letsparty

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
My buddy and I rented a 2 story house on the water just south of black's island upcoming July 22nd through the weekend for our 2 families and some other friends..not bad expensive with the splits...buddy and I will head down Wed 22nd scout for scallops so we can put the arriving family on the hot beds on Friday, Sat return on Sunday.

Can't wait, this will be our third year putting together this trip and like in the past, I expect another fun productive scalloping adventure.

Oh, and I have the boat rigged for floundering first time for this trip, so hope to stick a few as well...

Jimmy

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
I hope you find the hot spots. We were down there last weekend and didn't find much. All were small and few and far between. We looked ALL around Blacks island no one was getting many anywhere that we could see. Weather was perfect both dayd dead calm and hot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts