Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Was there for the 4th of July week, not a good year for scallops but a great place to fish for sharks. We go at least once a year.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Scallops still thick south end of pt st joes. We focused on grass beds around 2-4’ feet deep. We brought the yaks and launched at Salinas park a couple times and at cape San Blas yak launch. we fought the storms but still worked it out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is my next scallop luxury item, to do the wet vac thing by boat. I like to leave the shells in the water, as they assist with reproduction of next year’s harvest

What is this wet vac trick you speak of? Are you vacuum sealing the zip locks onboard the vessel to get a higher pound per physical volume? Lemme know the trick. I want in.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The wet vac is used to suck the guts off of the muscle. With a couple of people work goes very fast. Take the upper shell off, vacuum the guts, scape the meat off the shell.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Can you wade in at salinas park and if so how far is the walk out?
Yes you can. Try to go when tide is high. The water get really low there. I’d say probably a few hundred yards out would be good enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
Not it on cleaning the vac. the next day!
That is why I want one for the boat, we like to clean ours at Black's Island. Once we hit the limit.
The fish get fed and the shells float away, so they help populate next years crop.
And we come home with clean scallops.
Heck, if you get your scallops in two hours, then spend the rest of the day cleaning them in the water.
Especially if you have several boats with you, it turns into a nice get-together on the water.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
Not big on the shop vac thing, but cleaning them on the water is the ticket. I willnever bring home more than 1 person limit whole, just for the grill. You get more that way as well in my opinion

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
left this morning at 4:30 to Port St Joe. Went to Salinas park. Got our 4 man limit and started home. Took about 4 hors to get 8 gallons. Walked out about 1/2 mile. The first 200yds is pretty muddy bottom. Ladder is gone at the end of the dock where you get in the water, its about 4ft to get back up. We will probably go back in a week, I will build a ladder to attach if there isn't one when we get there.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
left this morning at 4:30 to Port St Joe. Went to Salinas park. Got our 4 man limit and started home. Took about 4 hors to get 8 gallons. Walked out about 1/2 mile. The first 200yds is pretty muddy bottom. Ladder is gone at the end of the dock where you get in the water, its about 4ft to get back up. We will probably go back in a week, I will build a ladder to attach if there isn't one when we get there.
Good work. The ladder detached last week when i was there as the storms came in. I also put my leg through the hole in that last step. Bruised up my knee Pretty good. The southern bay is loaded

21 - 36 of 36 Posts