Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Mines Bigger
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time scalloping next week, is it as easy as snorkeling grass beds in 4-8 feet or is there something else I need to be looking for?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm by no means an expert, only been a couple of times and heading back this Labor day weekend with the rest of the crazies. You need to look for the brown moss in the grass. You'll run across big patches of it and we've typically found most scallops in those areas. Last year was tough sledding for numbers, but there is always that one guy who says the limit out every time. We still had a great time last year even though we didn't get a ton of scallops.

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
I’ve never done it in 8 feet of water. But yes 4 feet. Jump overboard swim around a little bit if you don’t see them move. Went last Labor Day. We would limit out in an hour. But you got to keep moving until you find them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
What Tom said. Last year the numbers were so high we went on opening weekend and had our limit in about 20mins with 2 people. They were everywhere. Not sure about this year. The longer you wait the harder they will be to find. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Last year was great. Follow the boats and ask the locals. Please report how you do. good luck

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
My kids did great least year. Go to the north end of the bay or around blacks island. The channels can be tricky and it's easy to run aground if your not careful. Go where the boats are. Don't forget your dive flag.

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
I used to go a lot but haven’t been in years.
You will see big sandy areas in the middle of the grass. I used to find lots of scallops around the edges of those sandy areas.
Like was said before, be sure to take a dive flag. Get some thin, flexible blade scallop knives.
I always carried waterproof medical tape to wrap certain parts of my hands while shucking. After shucking a few, you will know where to wrap.
Take some Tupperware if you are going to shuck on the boat.
I assume you have string bags to carry to put the scallops in?
I always wore fins but if you are not, I would suggest wearing water shoes.
Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Follow the pack and if they are there, you'll find them. We have found them away from the pack the last few years closer to the Stump Hole but it seems like they are often at least partially covered by silt or mud there. It just makes picking a little more work. We will see everyone from the 16th to the 21st.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
Follow the pack and if they are there, you'll find them. We have found them away from the pack the last few years closer to the Stump Hole but it seems like they are often at least partially covered by silt or mud there. It just makes picking a little more work. We will see everyone from the 16th to the 21st.
We will be there 16-18. Ill be in a 18ft Palm Beach blue bimini, probably have a 17 horn near me and a little Seafoam Skiff on Sunday! Maybe an 18ft mako with us too

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had great luck on the southeast side of blacks island. That was in around 5-6ft of water. The biggest scallops I found were in the bottoms of the shark beds and around the sides. You'll know the shark beds because they're a deep open area of sand. Also caught some nice flounder just on the edges of the channels on the SW side of the bay.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Look for the cottages behind scallop cove general store. They are awesome and there's a dock, and store within walking distance. We stayed there a week and loved it. They have screened in back porches for night time when the mosquitos get thick.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Anyone on here live In or near psj? Wondering if there are many scallops up near frank pate park. We are riding over for a day trip early Sunday, with two grandkids, but without a boat.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Scallop Cove cabins is where I would stay. Its behind Pig Island so you can anchor your boat protected behind the island. Not a long run to scalloping area.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Used to go every season--watch out for the pop-up thunderstorms! ⛈ Easy when it's easy. Hard when it's hard. Always started just East of Blacks Island and then worked our way South to the opposite shoreline. You can scallop in deeper water and find the bigger scallops but wear yourself out with all the diving. The easiest way is to find a sand hole in the grass (there are hundreds of these) and snorkel around the edge -- or a prop wash scar trail. Perfect water depth is waist-to-chest deep where you can put a throwable cushion under your chest and have the bottom at the end of your reach. Fins work great. A livewell bait net is better than a mesh bag to carry them in when you are swimming because of the wire frame opening. We always shucked on the boat so we could get the maximum cleaned meat in ziplock bags. Had a Pyrex beaker to measure with in case Mr. Green Jeans wanted to check.

Sold our boats....get our scallops from Walmart now! 🛒

1 - 20 of 36 Posts