Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only time I ever catch any fish is when I just let it sit and leave it alone. Do some of yall just use reg weighted floats for shrimp? Everything I read says popping rigs but popping don't work for me.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,040 Posts
I haven't had all that much luck with popping rigs in the Choctawhatchee Delta area. But like everything in fishing with the right time and right bait they can be deadly. When I lived in Louisiana I had great success on specks and reds, but over there the fishing seems to be a lot better than here. Live bait under a popper should work better than artificials.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
During hot weather a slip cork rig is going to work much better. The fish are deeper in hot weather and you can adjust the cork to where they are feeding, usually about a foot off the bottom.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think popping the cork is an attention getter. If you're using artificial, it also moves your lure and gives it some action. With live shrimp, they already swim around so you really don't have to pop it as often but I still think it helps to pop it every once in a while.

I like the rattle popping corks unless I want to fish more than 3' deep, then I use the weighted popping corks rigged as a slip cork for easier casting. Even when I use a slip cork I still kind pop it now and then. But not really to make a spash/noize but to move my line and make my bait move up in the water column and fall back down. Sometimes that will get a strike.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
During hot weather a slip cork rig is going to work much better. The fish are deeper in hot weather and you can adjust the cork to where they are feeding, usually about a foot off the bottom.
Yea...I want depth adjustment without retieing and the popping part isn't helpful to me plus costs 4 bucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts