Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My young fishing buddy, Mason, saw a little daylight in his work/honey-do schedule and figured we needed to introduce one of his workplace friends to striper fishing. Mason recently changed jobs and moved from Hell(Atlanta) to Auburn. Auburn is about the same distance to our fishing hole (Yates Lake) as it is from my house, so we're hoping to fish together more often.
Anyway... his co-worker friend (Cam) had never caught a true striped bass and Mason wanted to hook him up (yuk, yuk, hook him up).
We spent two hours trying to catch some big gizzard shad, and only managed two. That's right, TWO. Mason did all the net throwing, thank goodness. Sun was getting low, so we took our TWO shad out of 93 degree water up to 65 degree water below the dam.
Shad #1 got thumped, and Cam is no longer a striper virgin. Eleven pounds six ounces. He, like most people that catch their first striper, was in awe.
Shad #2 got bit and Mason fought what appeared to be a larger fish, but it came unbuttoned and we didn't save the bait.

"Hey, y'all, we're out of bait!"

We took a whiskey cruise back to the boat ramp, and came up on two "Deliverance" types that were broken down, so we prolonged our cruise by dragging them to the ramp.
Two baits, two bites. Cam asked what it was like if we had two dozen baits? Mason just looked at me and grinned.
Window Fisherman Water Fish Cap

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good catch and story!! I have spent many an hour below that dam chasing bit spotted bass. Very cool place for sure.
Ha Ha! Very cool place indeed. And yes, it has plenty of spotted bass. They play hell with our hard-earned shad. They will bite them and pull the skin off without getting hooked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts