Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has been the best technique for pompano fishing in your yak? Do you run up and down the outside break and throw inshore with a pompano type jig? Just was curious on technique. Always surfed fish for them and now that I have a Kayak, I'm hoping to hook up on more.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I make my kayak pomp rigs similar to how I rig up for surf casting but with a slight modification. When I'm surf casting, I use a single drop rig with a small float on the drop (similar to how most rig) and my weight on the bottom. In the yak, I still put a small float ahead of the hook, but I make a sliding weight rig with the weight about 2ft in front of the bait. I use the smallest egg I can get away with and still keep it on bottom and just slowly paddle just outside the breakers. I've done this about 5 times and it has worked surprisingly well and not just with pompano, but with big whiting, redfish and sheepshead.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
What has been the best technique for pompano fishing in your yak? Do you run up and down the outside break and throw inshore with a pompano type jig? Just was curious on technique. Always surfed fish for them and now that I have a Kayak, I'm hoping to hook up on more.
I do exactly as you're saying. Just parallel the beach, casting all around. I will drag a sand flea rig behind me, while casting a jig.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I make my kayak pomp rigs similar to how I rig up for surf casting but with a slight modification. When I'm surf casting, I use a single drop rig with a small float on the drop (similar to how most rig) and my weight on the bottom. In the yak, I still put a small float ahead of the hook, but I make a sliding weight rig with the weight about 2ft in front of the bait. I use the smallest egg I can get away with and still keep it on bottom and just slowly paddle just outside the breakers. I've done this about 5 times and it has worked surprisingly well and not just with pompano, but with big whiting, redfish and sheepshead.
Good technique, I was just going to use a pomp jig, but I like the idea to use a typical surf rig trailing for odds greater. Thanks for the input!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Good technique, I was just going to use a pomp jig, but I like the idea to use a typical surf rig trailing for odds greater. Thanks for the input!
I still throw a jig often, but when the surf is cranking a little more, this rig gets it done

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
been trying lately....no luck yet...anchoring behind some active surf chop//also dragging x flounder while at it. maybe another 2-3 weeks.

Goofy/banana jigs not much luck with those unless you are on the pier and sight fish x them.

(kayak) I fish them same way like if i was from the surf...double loop rigm piramyd sinker with sand fleas of small peeled pinky size shrimp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts