Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use mono on my surf rods. I can't stand the wind knots with the braid. Also I find that if you have a strong cross current situation, the mono doesn't get dragged down the beach as bad. That surprised me as I thought that the opposite would be true.
Wind knots are indeed a hassle. Have dealt with my share.

Have had hardly any since I started manually closing the bail.

Keeping a tight line until the rig is settled also seems to help.

Using a finger guard for braid, or a long top-shot, is still an issue.

Will try a casting-trigger later this Spring on one of two braid rods.

That will allow a much shorter 30 lb. top shot at the tip.

( instead of having it run all the way to the reel )

The third rod will use the old standby mono, on a great antique reel.

I've used #1 circle, or octopus circle, hooks for years.

Sometimes even drop to #2 since Pompano have small mouths.

If 3/0 hooks work for you, that's great, but I think it's overkill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new to beach fishing and would like to target the fish discussed.
Glad I found this thread. loads of good advice.

But what about rod n reels ??
Recommendations please on a descent rig for a beginner who hopes to make it a habit !
Thanks

·
Alumacrafty
113 Posts
Really any tackle store has started carrying them. they are in a blue and white sealed bag about the same size as a gulp bag. They come either pre cut or in big strips for you to cut. if they are precut they are in a long triangle shape. there are many different color and flavors also. Since ive started using them they are a must.

http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Bites-0078-Saltwater-Baits/dp/B004RDOXHW
I buy direct from the factory because they are soft and bright colored. Price is about the same as other places. Shipping is free.

https://fishbites.com/saltwater/

·
Banned
13 Posts
You are a great story teller. It is such a pity that we all will have to stay at home this coming summer. With the first rays of sun my mood is immediately tuned for trips. And this coronavirus killed the chance to travel this year, I think. I am from 0116 area code here, and it looks like I will be exploring the local beauty this season. Where are you from and what will you do this summer?

61 - 73 of 73 Posts