Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Amateur Surf Fisher
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I moved to W. P'cola 1.5 years ago, I have learned a lot reading at this forum about surf fishing. Still skunked for the season on Pomps but hoping to break it tomorrow and after the front.
Was wondering how you guys cook your pomps. I have been baking them whole and put lemon butter garlic pepper on them, they are my favorite fish to eat.
Thanks for any tips!
RS

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found that baking then whole is the best. I just gut them and cut a checkered pattern on both side. Rub some butter into the slits and throw salt and pepper. Bake then on 350 for about 25mins and squeeze lemon over top and it's amazing. Simple so that you don't over power the natural flavor of the pomp. My wife only likes her fish friend so I typically butcher the smallest one trying to filet it. I typically leave the skin on and just egg wash and flour mixed with salt and pepper and fry it in some olive oil. Filets are trickey though on pompano.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Grilled pompano seasoned with olive oil, garlic powder and old bay (3 minutes per side) Made a sauce of 2 tblsp butter, 1 clove of minced garlic, I tsp old bay. added white wine (chardonnay), green onion and cream. cook down about 5 minutes added parmesan cheese to taste about 3 tblsp and about 1/4 cup crab meat. Spoon sauce over the top of the pomp, garnish with minced green onion and serve with grilled asparagus (marinated in Italian dressing)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts