Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to learn as much as i can, from what i read, the Pompano is mainly caught in the surf ?? true ?, with live bait crabs or shrimp ?, on a Carolina type rig.
If ? the Gulf allows wave Wise, would anchoring 300 to 600 yards off the beach and casting toward the beach, be a good way to catch them ???.
Rather then surf fishing from the beach ?.

do you guys get them on artificial baits at all ?.
Like a 4" to 5" curl tail grubs, or something like a Gary Yamamoto hula grub ??.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
864 Posts
Carolina rig works with live bait. Catchem in the surf and around the edges of the surf. Go to any local bait and tackle store and you can pick up a wide variety of pomp jigs, usually pink in color. Cast em out and bounce them off the bottom.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weight

fishing the surf from the beach or pier can be very enjoyable.

With jigs like these, what weight do you use ?. looking at the picture, i would guess 3/8 to 1/2 maybe 3/4 oz ?

thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Sand fleas are generally the best live bait followed by fresh peeled shrimp, although on some days shrimp can be more productive. Use a two drop rig (available at most tackle shops or roll your own) and a 2 - 5 oz pyramid weight at the bottom (depending on how rough the surf is).
Use circle hooks. Can't remember what size I use, #2 maybe ?

·
Registered
234 Posts
We've had good luck in Orange Beach last two days using ghost shrimp. 3-man limit in about 1 hour both days surf fishing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts