Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
VIP of the PFF
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I built the prototype this morning, I'm still doing a little adjustment here and there but I've about got it the way I like it. I need to add one more nail for a larger single drop conversion for a bull red leader. I've always tied all my leaders by hand,but some times my guesser would be off on length or distance between the drops. So.... I decided to try my hand at building a peg board for consistency of leader lengths and distances between the two drops. I like it ! Keep in mind that this is just the prototype, not fancy or pretty. ..rusty nails and all. But now I know my dimensions and distances needed between the pegs to give me the leader that I want every time. Goes much faster too !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
I like the idea, king, but it needs explanation (push pins vs nails?).
Very nice innovation for pre-setting the lengths. Mine are inconsistent.
I'm building one (out of some pretty cedar).

:yes:

·
VIP of the PFF
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The push pins are just there to hold the open knot while you make the other one for the second drop. After you complete the second knot , you lift the line off the two nails closest to you and replace the back of the knot to the back nail and cinch it down. The push pins don't really bare any weight, they just hold the open knot until it's time to close it. This is needed because the open knot will not go back over the back nail until you remove the line from the front two nails.

·
VIP of the PFF
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is the snuff there to spit on your hook? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Close ....but actually the line . It helps to cinch the knot without friction burns. They say that you can do it with regular spit, but I think that the pompano dig the wintergreen flavor.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Looks good, how do you gauge a good distance? I like the hooks to to be about an inch apart with the main line tight. But I can still hook them together for travel.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Russ, I know you like those eagle claw #3 circle hooks. I started using them and they are the best bar none! However, I prefer the black steel to the silver ones. They seem stronger.

·
VIP of the PFF
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good, how do you gauge a good distance? I like the hooks to to be about an inch apart with the main line tight. But I can still hook them together for travel.
To accomplish that ,it's going to take a little trial an error. I would start with a junk board and just drive my nails in deep enough to hold. Tie a rig and see where you need to adjust. I went to Lowe's this morning and bought a new board and marked and stained and varnished it. I made a few adjustments that should get it right where I want mine. I'm waiting on it to dry now. Tomorrow I'll take a few more pictures and list the measurements that I settled on. That should give everybody a starting point. I also found that by adding one more nail that you could use the same board to make a single drop bull red rig.

·
VIP of the PFF
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Russ, I know you like those eagle claw #3 circle hooks. I started using them and they are the best bar none! However, I prefer the black steel to the silver ones. They seem stronger.
This is going to sound funny. ..but the weakness of the hook is one of the things that I like about it. They are a brittle hook and will most of the time break rather than bend. I have yet to find a pompano that can break them ,but if you hook a big stingray that sucks to the bottom sometimes you can get lucky and break the hook instead of the line. Then all I have to do is remove what's left of the old hook and put on a new one. I've caught many big reds and black drum on these hooks without breaking them. Most of the time when I break one it's because I was trying to. Those big rays can be aggravating some days.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks to your idea, king, I designed a pegboard last night for tying my (freshwater flyfishing) nymph rigs. They have a tippet ring and 2 nymphs on separate tippets, so the distance between them needs to be just right: ~ 6".

BTW, you suggested trial and error for setting distances. I did that and used push pins (instead of nails) as trial locations on the board until I found the correct distances. Then I used nails. The push pins are easily moved around to set the distances.

No photos yet. Photobucket has changed their format, and it's a pain to upload photos now. Ugh.

Again, thanks for this innovation. I don't use snuff, but if Pompano like it, then Brown Trout will too! And I didn't use treated lumber; tried a square of plywood.

:thumbup:

·
VIP of the PFF
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Good deal ! I'm glad that it worked out for you. I finished mine this morning. I just snapped a quick picture , but I'll try to get a better one later and post with an explanation of how it works and maybe some measurements for any others that might want to build one.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'd definitely like to make one, king.
Thanks (in advance) for posting measurements and explanations.

:notworthy:

·
VIP of the PFF
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for dragging this out , but I got hung up in town today, while I was running a bunch of errands. But I have been thinking about how to best explain the board design and how to use it. I'll try to get it together sometime tonight.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Grouperking looks nice I made one a couple years ago and made a couple hundred pompano rigs but my problem is the grandkids take them from me all the time.I made them special for them 60 for each of them so we get to the beach and they tell me they forgot to bring them.I told them last trip to check there fish bag or just watch me fish.
I made some from floats unlimited .75 pear shaped floats.
Having problem finding foam floats in bulk.If you see some let me know.
I enjoy your post great stuff. Tom

·
VIP of the PFF
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
First video - take # 437. Lol

http://youtu.be/HlyTviI7NUw

Well after watching it I found a mistake already. On the bull red loop. The distance between the bottom two nails is 7" and the correct distance between the bottom nail to the top nail is 5 1/2". That's the distance from either one of the bottom nails to the top nail.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts