Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few small changes to the jigs I assembled this week. The banana jig is just a twist on the Goofy or Silly jig; using a split ring tail hook vs a set hook. This will be fished with a teaser loop knotted to the front the same as other swim jigs but should provide a bit more action and better hook setting with the tail hook rigged as such.
The ball jig is just an attempt to tone down my usual color scheme by using a more natural color, a lighter weight ball and a crappie / chenille style shrimp imitation as a teaser.
No idea if these will work any better but the endeavor passes a few cold and wet winter days.
I am just doing a few of each for myself and friends but any thoughts or suggestions on design would be welcome.
Thanks,

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nice jigs. I've been toning down the paint scheme on my jigs too. I think I'm gonna start using jigs w/no skirts when I tip w/fleas. Or, tie w/marabou/craft fur instead of crimped nylon. It will make for a more efficient sand flea delivery vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice looking work.

I have a question about jigs in the surf. What is the retrieve you use when fishing a pompano jig? Hopping? Dragging on the sand or what? I would like to do a little more casting this year in addition to the bait rods.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got to test the banana jigs on the East end of Navarre today. I went 3 for 3 (released) wading out to the first bar and targeting a nice hole. I brought this one in for the obligatory beach pic.
The down side to these jigs is , I also went 7 for 7 on Ladyfish and could not get them to throw the hook as with a fixed jig head.
Beautiful day with the North wind. I could actually site cast for Pompano.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts