Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Pompano in PCB Surf 10/9

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  engulfed 
#1 ·
Went out today and got 3 Pompano on a knock-off Goofy Jig with a flashy gold teaser hook.

2 keepers and 1 undersized. Also got a Jack Crevalle just a little smaller than the keeper Pomps. I'll be eating it as well. I found out yesterday that they taste very good on the grill.

I was tearing up the Spanish in the weeks before the red tide hit. Then the beaches were covered in rotting fish and I can't seem to get a Spanish now. So I switched over to targeting Pompano. Lo and behold, they were there.

#4 ·
I give, just how did you "find out yesterday" that those jack crevalle tasted good on the grill?

Not being critical; its just that a prominent local chef claimed in an PNJ article recently, that he cooked them up to taste just like Filet Mignon. Then another chef type forum member challenged an "eat down" with he cooking the critters.

Both met with some strong doubt here, as the general consensus was that they tasted horrible...including your's truly.

So?

#5 ·
I give, just how did you "find out yesterday" that those jack crevalle tasted good on the grill?
I treated them like a Pompano and grilled them. They were very good. No strong flavor, firm flesh, and tasty. They were small ones, 11-12". The beach is covered with huge marauding schools of them right now. I think I'm going to try frying the one I kept today and see how it turns out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.