Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the area and am seeking info on pompano fishing? Tackle, bait, when, where...etc.

I am also looking for a good local bait shop.. I was referred to Gulf Breeze Bait & Tackle but they only seem interested in my money, the guy working the counter was no help at all!

Please Help

·
Registered
404 Posts
Check out the guys up at Hot Spots Bait and tackle right next to subway in gulf breeze. Good group of guys that know there stuff and can get you what you need!

Gear wise I'd have a 10-12 foot surf rod, use a double drop loop rig with a 2-3oz weight on the bottom with live sand fleas as bait

Hot Spots will show you what you need

·
Registered
306 Posts
Whitie9688 (3/20/2009)Check out the guys up at Hot Spots Bait and tackle right next to subway in gulf breeze. Good group of guys that know there stuff and can get you what you need!

Gear wise I'd have a 10-12 foot surf rod, use a double drop loop rig with a 2-3oz weight on the bottom with live sand fleas as bait

Hot Spots will show you what you need
I prefer using a 7'-6" Inshore rod with the lightest pyramid weight that will hold the surf (often a 1 oz or 1 1/2 oz). I also use a home made double drop loop rig or small three-way swivels. I have never had much luck with premade rigs, most are too heavy and pomps tend to be "leader shy". Some people will use a 2/0 hook or bigger I prefer #1 or 1/0 Octopus or Circle Hooks. Live sandfleas are the best bait.....I have had good luck over the years with "fresh dead shrimp" also. If you use frozen fleas throw them out when they start to ooze black you are wasting your time after that. When you hook your sandflea make sure to "pindown" his digger or he willdig your hook into the sand. If you do have a surf rod you can put it out with live bait and use your inshore rod to cast a pompano jig at the same time. I have an 8'-6"muskie/salmon rod I use for this. It allows me to get a little more distance on the lighter jigs. Find the "rips" in the sand bar and work the edges of the rip and the backside of the bar next to the rip. Have fun.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
I agree with X, I use flurocarbon leader in my home-made rigs and the pyramid or spider weight just enought to hold against the surf is the best way to do. Other weights tend to wash back in on you. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
19,600 Posts
Come to Flounders this coming up Monday at 630 and learn a ton of tips and secrets from the "Pompano Master".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts