Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to take my daughters out and catch some Pompanos. Any advice as far as rig used, best bait etc would help. Just want my girls to love fishing and don’t want to get skunked

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Dropper rig made from 10-15lb flourocarbon with smallest or no swivels. #1 or #1/0 hooks with a sandflea about the size of an olive. Other baits are similar sized shrimp or shrimp pieces. You can also try "fishbites" strips. I've had good luck with them on other species, but never caught a pomp on them. But many others have.

PS, I'm guessing it's pretty late in the year for pomps. It might be next April or so before they come back around. Others can chime in on that. I usually quit fishing for them in August/September.

·
Banned
52 Posts
Maybe not gone yet

Talked to a gent yesterday that claimed to have caught a number of pompano on the beach day before yesterday in Navarre. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
There starting on the fall run back to the south
Interesting. Fall run is about over with further east in PC and Mexico Beach. Usually done by Mid Sept.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,725 Posts
A friend uses those pink colored fishbites, says they work good. Dropper rigged, 1 to 2oz pyramid weight tied at end of line, then 2 hooks tied above the weight 12" apart. g/l

1 - 8 of 8 Posts