Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bait has been stole out of my traps several times over the last couple weeks. Today the bait wasn’t good enough, one of my whole traps was stole. Thieves are lower than whale shit I hope the trap cuts them, they get septic and die slowly thinking they should have left my stuff alone.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What is the deal with pinfish trap thieves? Is there some thriving market for used pinfish traps or selling pinfish? Are the thieves having their traps stolen? It seems like every fishing area has a problem with traps getting constantly stolen. You'd think the thieves would have all they need by now.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Do you have a buoy attached to the trap? I used to do what you're doing when I lived on the canals at Santa Rosa Shores, but I wouldn't do any kind of buoy, I'd just drop the trap/pin down and mark where I put it and I'd never leave it out for more than a night or two.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Send your trap to the bottom, tie it off with a piece of mono tied to an empty Gatorade bottle or something, but make sure the mono is only long enough to keep the bottle submerged a foot or 2 under the water. Whenever you need to get the trap, use a gaff to retrieve the line/bottle...keeps it hidden from thieves.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good ideas. I was using the buoys, because my sons (10, and 13) get in their jon boat and get bait from time to time. Not to mention as part of their chores they put them out and bait them for me. Keep the ideas coming I love having live bait when I leave the house. So I will replace them this week.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I put three out in that same area about 3 weeks ago and let em soak for a day. Went back at 6PM the following day and two had been pulled out of the water and the third had been tampered with as well. Glad they weren't taken since two of them were my neighbors. Just took em back to the house and chunked em in my canal.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I have seen a new guy with kids in a bass boat fishing a lot lately. Wonder if he has seen anything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had one stolen just outside the channel a couple months ago there as well. I live at the end of a canal and never get many big pin fish off the dock. I too may result to just marking with pins

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scott,
The new bass boat is between you and I (I got the blue/black sea hunt) they’re kinda goofy, but I don’t think they’d steal a trap.
Fishdoc,
Same here with no pinfish at the house, I can fill a trap or two at the weir. I’ll either throw a net, or figure out a non buoy idea.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I live in the "Isles" too. Last 2 times I've put out my 2 traps near the old bridge and the weir I've had barely any pinfish. Two traps and 9 pinfish last time. And that after a long soak with fresh bait. I've never done that poorly. I wondered if someone had "helped themselves" for snapper season?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Are you guys catching anything using pinfish? I gave up on them as bait as I went 6 trips in a row and nothing touched a pinfish. In fact I was using some special braid and I felt a snapper actually fart on the pinfish...ultimate snub!

·
Registered
390 Posts
lol, farted on the pin fish. I did not have any luck with them either. I used the trap one time, loaded up on pin fish and went fishing. Nada! They would smack it to make the fins stick out and not touch it again. Once I went back to LY's and Cigs, Bingo.....Fish on.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I quit trapping pinfish years ago and went to chumming and cast netting because of the thieves. Mix your chum with sand, make a ball, toss into sandy spot next to grass or structure like a dock and give it five minutes before making a throw. For snapper, try trimming the dorsal spines off with scissors before sending 'em down. I think it makes a difference. Grouper, scamp, AJs and cobia don't care.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,326 Posts
I quit trapping pinfish years ago and went to chumming and cast netting because of the thieves. Mix your chum with sand, make a ball, toss into sandy spot next to grass or structure like a dock and give it five minutes before making a throw. For snapper, try trimming the dorsal spines off with scissors before sending 'em down. I think it makes a difference. Grouper, scamp, AJs and cobia don't care.
We must have went to the same school on fishing. I stopped using pinfish all together, as soon as a they get smacked the fins go out and stay out then after reeling up 10 dead pins with fins out I went back to my always go to bait LYs. I was thinking about scissors but to much blahhh.

lol, farted on the pin fish. I did not have any luck with them either. I used the trap one time, loaded up on pin fish and went fishing. Nada! They would smack it to make the fins stick out and not touch it again. Once I went back to LY's and Cigs, Bingo.....Fish on.
This 100%

1 - 20 of 21 Posts