Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was sitting around pondering more stuff this morning, and I got started thinking. There are 11,000 members of PFF. In all those members, there has GOT to be a pretty good representative sample of the total recreational fishermen of the gulf coast. I am not good at statistics, but I suspect that IF NMFS is ACTUALLY surveying recreational fishermen (as they claim), then PFF should be able to confirm it.

I have never met anyone who was ever contacted, so this will serve as a "test" to see if these people exist.:takephoto

I guess the question would be: What constitutes a representative sample of a population (10%, 20%, etc) and then what percent are we (pff) of that population? We should arrive at the number of positive responses in the math.

What can I say? It is a slow day, and I got started thinking too hard...... LOL:doh

I did search first and failed to find where anyone has already done this on PFF.:letsdrink

·
Praedator
9,927 Posts
Yep, checked by a surveyor at Sherman Cove just a little over a year ago. He measured, weighed etc... while I washed down the boat. By the time I was done washing the boat down, he was done and put the fish back in the cooler. He took info on all of our fish, not just the snapper.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ditto...checked two days in a row at Sherman Cove ... same thing asked to check the fish for a survey...came onboard (fish were in the boat's fish boxes) he checked and collected data onall the fish. BBob

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes, in the fall of 07 & 08 at Galvez ramp. We had Gulf and Southern Flounder on board and the Gal showed us how to identify the two. Measured and weighed them, and went thru a 5 minute questionnaire. No pressure and all volunteer.

Shipoke

·
Banned
257 Posts
No offense I hope, but your questions are structured in such a manner that any results you get are invalid.

"Yes in the last three years" includes the past 36 months back from today.

"Yes and I was contacted greater than 3 years ago" includes anytime not included in the previous question.

"Yes and I was contacted more than 1 year" includes anytime prior to the past 12 months.

Question 1 and 3 both include the 13th-36th month ago.

Question 2 and 3 both include the same period of timeprior to the 36th month ago.

Suggestion: Structure your question specifically toward each 12 month period back from today and then at the 36th month, include all older than that.

For example:

"Yes, during the past 12 months."

"Yes, during the year prior to the past 12 months"

"Yes, during the year prior to the past 24 months"

"Yes at anytime prior to the past 36 months"

No time in the past is duplicated by the preceeding 4 questions, and you have a year by year historical count of contacts.

Also, a state surveyor may not be feeding the same data bank as a federal surveyor. Can you even tell them apart? And what effect to each have on data used to set limits and seasons?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In all honesty, I thought I would get 99% no, and those other questions would be 0% to 1%, and as such would not be so important to distinguish. Obviously I was wrong, which actually makes me feel better!

I am always glad to be wrong when it means someone is actually doing their job.

Too late to change the answers now, just have to let it ride. It will still provide information from a yes/no standpoint.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes we have been checked at Sherman,s Cove many times. I would say at lease 7 times I can recall.We were also checked at Sigsbee marina down in Key West twice'

·
Registered
541 Posts
I know in destin harbor they are always on the docks but that seems tomostly check charters.I have never been surveyed in the channel or anywhere else for that matter but I have been checked by LEO almost everytime I come into the pass.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
i have never been surveyed by the NMFS personel by phone or dockside only by the FWC on red snapper and this year was the first time since i've been fishing the past 40 years.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
cobe killer (12/10/2009)i have never been surveyed by the NMFS personel by phone or dockside only by the FWC on red snapper and this year was the first time since i've been fishing the past 40 years.
hey cliff it was you or need 2 fish, we got surved at shorline. this summer!

i went throught 2 this year at shoreline.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fairwaterfishing (12/10/2009)Our charters get surveyed up to a dozen times a year.
Do you think that it might be skewing the numbers that the charter boats would get surveyed more often than the "Joe Blow" recreational fisherman?

I would think that anyone on a charter would be more likely to limit out COMPLETELY on red snapper, versus every single recreational fisherman. There were times that I went out in 2009 and failed to limit out on snapper, primarily because it got so hot that we were all about to get heat stroke, and we were not willing to stick it out long enough to get to the limit.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
There is a difference in FWC surveys and NMFS surveys. As far as I understand the NMFS does not use the data collected by the FWC( someone correct me if I'm wrong). I have been surveyed by the FWC on severel occasions, but I have never been contacted by anyone from the NMFS.

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
I have owned my boat for 6 yrs. The first five years I would pull up between 10-15 short snapper to every 1 legal fish. This is obviously fishing public numbers. This season I couldn't catch a short. Each trip produced multiple over 10 pounders. No matter what I changed, I couldn't get a grouper bite period. I would be very pleased to be surveyed (often), but never have been.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Matt Mcleod (2/4/2010)There is a difference in FWC surveys and NMFS surveys. As far as I understand the NMFS does not use the data collected by the FWC( someone correct me if I'm wrong). I have been surveyed by the FWC on severel occasions, but I have never been contacted by anyone from the NMFS.
I have never been surveyed by any agency. I have been boarded several times and checked for legal bag limits and lengths by FWC but no data was collected. FWC was stopping every boat coming in the Destin pass and making their presence known. They did ask us how the fishing was on those days but that seemed to just be a trick to get us to try and incriminate ourselves.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts