Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yes, you can fiberglass plywood. Would I do it? Depends on what your plans are and how you go about it. The only place locally I know of, but I'm sure there are others that carry marine plywood is Meredith Lumber in G.B. by the Zoo. I bought a sheet of 1/2" there two years ago for a project and it was about $60.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
you can fiberglass just about anything.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Meredith Lumber in Ensley stock 3/8in - 1/2in - & 3/4in AB Fir Marine.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Dumb question.....why buy marine grade plywood if you are going to glass it? I was under the assumption that fiberglass is water tight?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I replaced the floor in an older boat about 7 yrs ago, the guy that helpedme do it, also was doing repairs for a local boat dealer and the dealer had sent him to a fiberglass school. He informed me to use douglas fir plywood,so that when you apply the fiberglass and resin you are starting with a dry piece of wood rather than one that already contains moisture (treated plywood). Also had a reason for not using pine or regular plywood, however, I have slept since then and don't remember the exact reason, itwill nothold up as good as the douglas fir. Fir was more $$$ but would be worth it in the long run. Last time I saw the boat floor was holding up like a champ.

made sense to me.

BA

·
Registered
399 Posts
Tuna man

Interesting reading materials, can always stand to learn something. Knowing now what I just read is the plywood being sold locally been redyed. What little I have been involved with oozed perseravtive. Not that it really matter anymore, the moisture,just curious more than anything else.

BA

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
cape horn 24 (12/7/2007)Tuna man

Interesting reading materials, can always stand to learn something. Knowing now what I just read is the plywood being sold locally been redyed. What little I have been involved with oozed perseravtive. Not that it really matter anymore, the moisture,just curious more than anything else.

BA
Have no idea of what is being sold in PNS. The FIRST place if looking for plywood (specialty) that I would go toor call would be Daniel (owner)at Meredith Lumber Co. First Daniel is a great guy, second he has been on the water for many years and I'm sure if he doesn't carry what you need/can't get it, he will point you in the right direction. I'm sure he has gone down this road before.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,168 Posts
The big differences in exterior grade fir plywood and marine grade plywood is: the marine grade has no voids in the layers of wood, wereas the exterior grade <U>may</U> ormay not have, and cost. Don't use pressure treated or pine plywood if you are going to glass it. The glass won't bond well to either.

I'm currently rebuilding a reef-hauling boat. I'm going to use 3/4" pine sturdi-floor plywood for the first layer (not glassed), then 1/2" exterior grade fir plywood for the top layer of wood. The top layer will be covered with a heavy layer of glass. Check out the photo. Sea-r-cy

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have seen treated plywood used as deck material and it did not hold up as the bond let go in a short time. I have never seen fir let go like that. Just food for thought!

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Fir is also lighter in weight than pine plywood. [Both untreated]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts