Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start a inshore fishing business. What are the monthly bills that comes with having a fishing business?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
do you have your capt license? the monthly isnt bad like chris said its the startup is what gets you....insurance, license, rods, reels, line, tackle...and so on

·
Banned
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a cousin that wants to buy a 24foot everglades bay boat and have me run it on charters.. is this possible for him to do and break even having a boat... what can i expect to spend on monthly bills..

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
To start up right and break into an already flooded market in this area you need to spend7 to 10 thousandright off the bat.

As far as monthly bills...you don't really have monthly bills. You only run chartersconsistantlyabout 4 months out of the year.

As a new business you will have to pay around 1000 bucks for insurance andabout 2 thousand getting your captains license.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Hookd Up (3/14/2010)i have a cousin that wants to buy a 24foot everglades bay boat and have me run it on charters.. is this possible for him to do and break even having a boat... what can i expect to spend on monthly bills..

it all depends on how much your insurance is, how many trips you run(fuel, oil, and other boat maintaince, etc...) it will vary from month to month

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
Hookd Up (3/14/2010)i have a cousin that wants to buy a 24foot everglades bay boat and have me run it on charters.. is this possible for him to do and break even having a boat... what can i expect to spend on monthly bills..
Your not going tohave that boat and brake even for you and your cousin. Like Brant said the inshore guides are becoming a dime a dozen with the ways new offshore regs are. You will have way to much over head to get in it and setup right.

·
Registered
807 Posts
make sure your wife girl friend or mother makes 6 figures a year and you will be ok!!!!!!!

you may have better luck opening up a tackle store...LMAO

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
what's the old saying? how do you make a million bucks fishing? start with ten million...

all kidding aside there are some tax advantages if you run enough trips from what i am told.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Lot of negative here. I wouldnt think it would be 7 to 10 thousand to start it up, Maybe if you are buying a boat also. It takes money to make money. Talk with Chris he knows just about everything you need to know about it. He was/is very successful at what he does and has alot of great information he isnt scared to share. Alot of charter guys will tell you this and that so you wont be motivated to do it. You start running charters thats less charters for them. WORD OF MOUTH is a big thing and advertisment.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Best advice I can give.... (somewhat in jest, but somewhat serious at the same time)..... I assume you are talking about becoming a guide....

I hope you are young enough to:

1. Don't get married, or if you do, make sure you can live off your wifes income

2. Don't have any kids

3. Don't get into debt to get into the business, because you'll have a hard time getting out

4. Be prepared to fish every day, regardless of whether or not you have a trip booked

5. ALWAYS put your clients first

It's a tough business - the good guides do extremely well, but it takes time and dedication to your CUSTOMERS to make a living....

·
Registered
209 Posts
well... if your given the upfront capital. (boat + starting capital)

you will have to work your ass off to break even.

good luck.

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
KoolKat45 (3/15/2010)Is there any business you dont have to work your ass off to get started and be successful? Ifso please let us know.
No but if the market is flooded would you put all your money into it? Would you go get your contractors license right now and try to build houses for a living? Its all based off the economy and the market is.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Lots of folks can catch fish, but can you teach someone to catch fish. Successful guides can teach non fishermen how to catch fish. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts