Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Who we talkin' about?
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, guys. I was working a trade for a .357 sig then fell for one of those "offer you can't refuse" from someone at work. After that fell through, (go figure), I found myself looking at things I would trade my Para 14-45 LDA for.

Enough back story. Now I have the AR bug! Someone please steer this ignorant redneck in the right direction. I have made up my mind that an AR needs to come live with me, now I need to know what kind of quality to expect in a comparable swap. I DON'T KNOW NOTHING 'BOUT NO BLACK GUNS! Is that plain enough?

Somebody make me smarter, please!

For comparison; Blued, original box and papers, two 14 round magazines and one 10 round magazine, one bag of tracer ammo bought at the gun show (real or just ball with paint on the noses, who knows?). Less than four boxes of ammo has been fired since I bought this gun new at Mike's about six years ago!

·
Who we talkin' about?
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whoops! This should have been in the discussion section, not the for sale section...did I mention I are a ignorant redneck?

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
Well first decide your chambering, caliber you want to shoot. Second, find a forum specific for that and they will educate you.

·
Who we talkin' about?
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well first decide your chambering, caliber you want to shoot. Second, find a forum specific for that and they will educate you.
See, I didn't even know that mattered! I guess .223 and 5.56 so I can take advantage of mil-surplus ammo or am I already headed down the wrong path?

·
Who we talkin' about?
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gun would kinda be all-purpose, some pig shooting, some target, I know I want a collapsible stock so the lil lady can shoot it comfortably, too.

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
Tom if it is going to be used for hunting I would prefer another caliber, there are many to chose from, I personally run a 6.8 http://68forums.com/forums

You really need to do some research to decide. The Lower is the same for most calibers you will be looking at, so it will be the upper where the caliber differences are. You could have 2 or 3 different uppers(calibers) that pin on your lower.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
5.56 is nice if you plan to shoot mil-surplus ammo, and or 223 rem ammo.
or you can go 223 wylde chamber which allows the same thing, however a 223 chamber will not support the higher cup pressure a 5.56 generates.
Barrel twist is important as far as what weight bullets will shoot accurately such as..
1 in 12
1 in 9
1 in 8
1 in 7
that means that the riffling of the barrel makes on full twist per "so many inches" so a 1 in 7 will make one full twist every 7'.
what this means to you is the lower number twist the heavier the projectile it will shoot accurately.
Just a few thoughts from the top of my head

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,073 Posts
What do you really want it for??? Home defense, civil disturbance, zombies, liberals coming over the hill after you???? Long/short barrel? Are you even a decent shooter???
Here's a site that might/might not help, keep in mind, election years are a interesting time to purchase guns/ammo.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/3_.html

·
Who we talkin' about?
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You don't know how ignorant you are till you start learning! I think we'll keep it simple; 5.56/.223, collapsible stock so shorty and I can both shoot...if I were to offer the LDA as an even trade, what should I be looking for without ending up with scrap metal? I guess this should have been my original question. I'd like to trade but knowing less than nothing, I wouldn't know if I were being taken for a ride. How about this? Can you suggest what to avoid?

·
Who we talkin' about?
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was that the Windham? I have been reading good stuff about them (mostly on here) but like I said, I DON'T KNOW NOTHING! I've been shooting since before I was toilet trained but don't know squat about ARs. Anyway, I are cash poor but got a hankerin' to see what kind of trades are out there. Oops, noticed on some of the other threads that price is a requirement....around $650? All three magazines are from Para, btw.

·
Native Born Pensacolian
402 Posts
OK, guys. I was working a trade for a .357 sig then fell for one of those "offer you can't refuse" from someone at work. After that fell through, (go figure), I found myself looking at things I would trade my Para 14-45 LDA for.

Enough back story. Now I have the AR bug! Someone please steer this ignorant redneck in the right direction. I have made up my mind that an AR needs to come live with me, now I need to know what kind of quality to expect in a comparable swap. I DON'T KNOW NOTHING 'BOUT NO BLACK GUNS! Is that plain enough?

Somebody make me smarter, please!

For comparison; Blued, original box and papers, two 14 round magazines and one 10 round magazine, one bag of tracer ammo bought at the gun show (real or just ball with paint on the noses, who knows?). Less than four boxes of ammo has been fired since I bought this gun new at Mike's about six years ago!
AR's are EVIL black rifles. If you buy one you will be forever lost. You Must give me your AR money if you want to avoid going down that path of Evil. :D
If you Must travel that path Bushmaster has always treated me right. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts