Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The practice of dumping aluminum cans overboard is just plain wrong. Also, tearing the cans in half prior to dumping them does not mitigate the problem. I imagine cans dumped in very deep water will probably not wash ashore but neither will they form a reef.

Saw these this morning on Navarre beach right at the tide line. I would hate to see some little kid slice his foot in one of these.

Please don't dump cans, or any other trash, overboard...bring it back with you.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
It is not right.
Back two or three years when the PFF got together to pick up trash in the Fort McRae area, we were collecting aluminum cans that were fazed out in the 1980's.
The ones we found could not have been there 28+ years and had to have washed up from the depth of the gulf.

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
I started a rant about the same thing a yr or so ago and one or two actually argued FOR dumping them!

You had room to bring it out there, you have room to bring it back

·
Registered
538 Posts
You Just need the State to put a deposit on them, here in Michigan we have had a 10 cent deposit on all bottles and cans for years, it does help keep people from just throwing them out.

Or better yet, just pass a Law, No Alcoholic beverages allowed on boats :). We don't need drunks on boats, anymore then we do in cars :D. JMO

Kevin

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
You Just need the State to put a deposit on them, here in Michigan we have had a 10 cent deposit on all bottles and cans for years, it does help keep people from just throwing them out.

Or better yet, just pass a Law, No Alcoholic beverages allowed on boats :). We don't need drunks on boats, anymore then we do in cars :D. JMO

Kevin
so soda cans are ok then?

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
I agree with this...not just cans but trash in general.

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
I agree with this...not just cans but trash in general.
Yep. Any and all trash. I love it when someone tells me "I love the gulf" and then chucks a can, wrapper, etc overboard

·
Banned
732 Posts
I work offshore and was offshore Louisiana just after Halloween this year and a carved pumpkin was floating by. I think we were 120-150 miles offshore and the pumpkin was floating towards Texas.

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,663 Posts
I work offshore and was offshore Louisiana just after Halloween this year and a carved pumpkin was floating by. I think we were 120-150 miles offshore and the pumpkin was floating towards Texas.
I think I saw that same pumpkin in the Bering sea On deadliest catch......

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yep. Any and all trash. I love it when someone tells me "I love the gulf" and then chucks a can, wrapper, etc overboard
I totally agree, We went to NAS Blue Angel show(free) followed by Big and Rich concert(free), after it was over it looked like a tornado came thru, sad part is there were trash cans everywhere!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Used to live in Slidell, La., spent a lot of time on the Pearl River. I'll never forget motoring through the swamps and coming across locals fishing for thier next meal and seeing candy wrappers and cans floating around their boat... sad that they didn't understand that habitat they depended on wasn't worth protecting.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I started a rant about the same thing a yr or so ago and one or two actually argued FOR dumping them!

I remember leaving that thread behind thinking how assanine some people can be. One even tried to justify it with some kind of water current psuedoscientific voodoo mind :censored: idea. I would hate to know someone sliced their foot wide open just innocently wading or walking down the beach all because of pure laziness or stupidity of another. If it's trash that's not biodegradable it shouldn't go overboard ever unless it was an accident in some way. That picture is a prime example why.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
I just don't understand that kind of thinking. It would make me sick to throw a wrapper or can in the water. Heck, it makes me sick when people throw something that is recylable into the trash can.
I'll actually pull a can or plastic water bottle out of the trash at work and go put it in the recycle bin.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts

Kevin
Kevin
Im glad you found this forum and please feel free to ask questions and pass along experience. But please don't fall into the category of northerners that think it's necessary to explain how you do things up north and how things would be better here if we were more like y'all. Your obviously a fisherman and for that you get the benefit of the doubt, please don't make me use the "Y" word. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Kevin
Im glad you found this forum and please feel free to ask questions and pass along experience. But please don't fall into the category of northerners that think it's necessary to explain how you do things up north and how things would be better here if we were more like y'all. Your obviously a fisherman and for that you get the benefit of the doubt, please don't make me use the "Y" word. Welcome to the forum.
I was thinking the same thing...He will find out real quick how that goes over around here.....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Kevin

I am 60 years old, I don't only fish I hunt too.
If I offended you in some way with my statement I apologize.
I was merely trying to say when they put a return deposit on all bottles and cans up here, it really cut down on the amount that people just threw out.

And for drinking while boating, that is the same as drinking and driving a car, if you have a problem with that, I guess that you just have a problem.
I don't know how many people down there get killed by drunks driving a boat every year, but in Michigan waters it is way to many.
I have been ran over once by another boat, and I really don't care to have it happen again.

Kevin

·
Registered
894 Posts
i wasnt talking bout drinkin and driving but drinking and riding while some sober person drives the boat sure is fun. the only problem i have is when i run out of beer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts