Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking I want/need one of these, can anyone recommend a brand. Will be used up to 20 miles offshore and way up river, canoeing, hiking. Looks like battery life is an issue, ie cost to replace. Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm surprised you haven't had some more replies, but here's mine. I have two ACR ResQlinks. Comparably not real expensive at about $275. Like a full blown EPIRB, the ACR has a built in GPS and floats. I have two because the first one expired after the 5 year life and needed new battery. A few years ago that meant sending it back to England or some where for a $200+ replacement battery. Recently though there are a couple of companies that will do new batteries installed for around $50

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I'm getting my son an ACR for Christmas but don't know which model yet. Great post for us needing info.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'm surprised you haven't had some more replies, but here's mine. I have two ACR ResQlinks. Comparably not real expensive at about $275. Like a full blown EPIRB, the ACR has a built in GPS and floats. I have two because the first one expired after the 5 year life and needed new battery. A few years ago that meant sending it back to England or some where for a $200+ replacement battery. Recently though there are a couple of companies that will do new batteries installed for around $50
Do you know who these companies are? I need a new battery in mine. BTW, I have an ACR as well. Great compact PLB.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Survivalatsea.com does a full Battery service for $125 including:
  • Round trip pre-paid shipping
  • Detailed physical inspection
  • Replacement of all seals, gaskets and o-rings
  • Replacement of Li-ion battery
  • Pressure/water ingress test
  • RF signal transmission test w/ verification printout
  • Recycling of old battery
And beaconbatteryreplacement.com is less than that if you dont need the full service + the battery.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
1Dime, I looked at ACR and they have about a dozen different models. Which do you have?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a RESQLINK™+ from ACR. Little sucker goes everywhere with us, from hiking and backpacking to kayaking and on the boat. It's pretty cheap for the level of assurance that it offers.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have worn one for a couple of years It is one of the RESQLINK models, bought it at West Marine, less than $300. Easy to wear on your belt, or your life jacket. I attached mine to my inflatable life vest which I wear. No battery concerns yet, but in a few years the technology may be even better, may upgrade it. It does have a self test feature, read the manual. I think a PLB has better utility than an ELT, because it stays with you, not the boat, it’s lighter and cheaper. Be aware that you must register the device with the FCC for an MMSI, it’s free with BoatUS website. The registration collects your emergency contacts, description of vessel, areas of use, etc, very easy.
Do NOT throw away a PLB or ELT without removal of the battery because of possible inadvertent activation, in a landfill.
Highly recommend PLB.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I had a spot gps when they first came out. Don't know how they are anymore. Was fairly cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts