Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any reccomendations from past experiences down in the Keys. I have never been and thinkthe family is going to head down around Labor Day. Dates are firm yet, so if there is something happening that we should see, we can adjust. Would like to do a little fishing, lobstering, and snorkling. The kids, a couple of 8 and 10 year olds going also. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. T-HI

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was went to the Keys this past September, if you are thinking about going fishing I would highly recomend "Main Attraction Charters" A father and son are the owners, my captain was the son "Marty", it was just my wife and I, we landed 40 or so Mahi, and 1 Sail, a few yellow tail snapper,lost a double hook up on sails, and I lost one hell of a big grouper and this was during the off season. They are located at Key Colony Beach Marina.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the park idea and the father son captains. Anybodyknow if its better to get a house with 5 rooms or stay at the motels?

·
Registered
563 Posts
One of my best buds has a guide business, Tail Chasin' Charters,out of Cudjoe key during the winter months flats fishing for tarpon, permit, bonefish, etc... He is good with kids and offers fly or spin fishing. If your looking to do some flats fishing he will hook you up, only heard good things about him and I personally have been fishing with him for about 8 years now. He might even be able to hook you up with some tips on lobstering or take you along and if your into freedive spearfishing so is he. If your interested give him a call and tell him the Russian sent you, his business card is below. As for where to stay I have stayed in houses both on canals, off canals, on the water, and in hotels. I would recommend a house on the water where you can fish in the back yard if you can swing it. Hope you have a great trip and are able to put the family on some fish. Cant wait to make it down there myself one of these days.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Russian, gave Gabe a call. He wont be around then, but he recommended a couple of other captains that may help out with some fishing. Now trying to find accomadations......

·
Registered
563 Posts
No problem! Well I guess thats what I get for not paying attention to the dates you were thinking of heading down there.:banghead Yeah he will probably be in Alaska or just getting back from there that weekend. At least he was able to give you some advice, hopefully it helps out.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Jot this number down and when you have a few minutes call Sandy Moret, 305-664-5423

Super Guy. He owns a Fly Shop in Islamaroda and most likely will be able to answer any question you would want to ask. On the way down stop by and if he is there, you will meet one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Take Pictures - See the Local Color Local Flavor stuff - World Wide Sportsman is a Tourist Trap - Wear Sunscreen - Don't just fish Deep Water spend a day up shallow - Go to Robbies and Feed the Tarpon - Eat at the Raw Bar in Key West - Don't Run over a Key Deer - Eat at Lora-Leis in Islamaroda - See the SunSet at Malory Square - Slow down at the Bridge in Key Largoand enjoy the ride on US1 all the way to Key West - Don't wear a Watch the whole time your down there, it makes the trip even better

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM ABOVE BY ALL MEANS NECESSARY:nonono

But x2 on the go by Robbies of Islamaroda and feed the tarpon.http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm

Mark W

·
Registered
944 Posts
You stated Key West and then the Keys in general...

Key West: If your boat is capable try to make it to the "Marquesas" It is a haul but not too crowded once there and interesting fishing both inside and around. Don't over look the islands and flats immediately west of Key West. I think they are the "Bay islands". There are lots of flats and channels to work and quite enjoyable. I keep telling myself to try themmore each time I leave.

Dining in Key West : Try to find "El Sabinay" (not spelled like that but it sounds like it...) You might have to take a cab to find it tucked behind something off to the middle of town. Good Cuban fare and excellent Sangria... There was one particularly beautiful bronzed Cuban waitress...Oh my...

·
Registered
425 Posts
If your going for fishing the upper and middle Keys are a better choice.(note previous post above). If you are going to play tourist Key West is a must...at least once. Not a lot of stuff for small kids...lots of bars, restruants and t-shirt shops.My wife and I have been twice to the Keys and enjoyed both trips. The first trip we played tourist and the second we looked like gypsies headed south. We took kayaks,dive gear and bicycles. We parked the truck at our B&B (Angelina Guest House) and rode bikes everywhere we went. You mentioned snorkling....spend the extra money and go out to Fort Jefferson on Dry Tortugas. They have boats that leave twice daily or if money is not an object they also have seaplane charters as well. The trip out takes about 2 hours via boat and you get to spend about 4 hours at Fort Jefferson....plenty of time to tour the Fort and snorkel. (Take your own water andsnorkle/dive gear other wise you have to rent theirs.) Go to Mallory Square and watch the sites...lots of "interesting" people. And as mentioned previously...leave your watch at home.

This picture wastaken from my seat in the Conch Republic Bar in Key West right after a summer shower.Enjoy your trip!

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,190 Posts
If SOMEBODY inthe group is active duty, reserve, or National Guard there are some old duplexes that have plenty of beds, old bathrooms, and are near downtown.

Check with NAS Key West housing.

Jim

·
Registered
511 Posts
The base is the way to go if you can. We took two seven year olds lobster sorkeling<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl4_lblFullMessage>http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=615140

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic385948-2-1.aspx?Highlight=key+west

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> last season and found areas they could get them fairley easily. PM me if you go to KW and drag a boat. Here are a couple of other links full of info.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl4_lblFullMessage>http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=615140

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic385948-2-1.aspx?Highlight=key+west

sorry about the link issue, it won't let me delete them...???
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts