Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be coming to the Gulf the last weekend of February for a guys weekend. I believe we have it narrowed down to the Gulf shores, Orange Beach , Perdido Key area. The main purpose of the trip is fishing. We will be surf and YAK fishing from Feb 25-28. I have a few questions and I know you all will have some answers. I'm not sure any of us care what we catch, but if we catch something we can eat that would be a plus.

1. What species are cruising the surf that time of year?
2. What baits should we be using, (live and artificial)
3. historically will fleas be available in the surf?
4. Do Florida and Alabama have reciprocal fishing licenses for that portion of the Gulf? Probably not but thought I would ask.

Any info you guys want to add, that I didn't ask about, will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bluefish, redfish, whiting, occasional pompano of water is warm, black drum, and sheepshead are main winter time species. With a kayak you can get into some Bonita offshore but besides that all your Pelagics and tarpon have headed south long ago. Best bait for bigger fish is cut mullet, live shrimp for sheepshead near structure, and dead shrimp will work in surf for everything

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for the info kayak. One of the guys booked a condo in Gulf Shores about a mile west of 59. So we will be in fishing Alabama.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts