Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long post, but had to tell the story. Had a plan work out for a change at Blue Springs WMA this past hunt(14-16). I pulled a drag as I got close to my stand location (half mile walk, but worth it)...at 6:45am a big doe stepped out and just browsed around near me. A few minutes later the doe alerted and started looking nervously the way I had walked in. I look back to see a BIG bodied deer, nose down, following my drag line. He was coming right to me, so I got ready for the shot. That's when things got dicey..the doe decided she didn't want anything to do with the big fella and bolted. The buck threw his head up, grunted loudly and took off after her about 70 yards out.I threw the crosshairs on an opening and squeezed when he entered my field of view...hestumbled slightly and went into overdrive...I figured I hit him a bit far back so waited as long as I could stand it...got down, found hair and a little blood. He finally started bleeding heavily and only went about 75 yards...hit a little far back, but I guess still got a lung. He weighed 186 pounds, my biggest bodied deer to date. Not muchhorn wise though...the biologist aged him at 4 1/2...unusual for a WMAdeer to make it that long. His neck was swollen and tarsals black and stinkin'..He was ready, just don't think thegals are quite yet..any day now I hope. That big guy nearly broke my deer cart getting him out, bent the spokes going over a few blowdowns..talk about a job, I'm still feeling the stiffness from the long drag..but again, well worth it..lots of buck where few want to go!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Nicely done cograts.:clap I sat in the stand all day yesterday and didnt see anything but a pretty sunrise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good job Andy. Dad told me the story yesterday and a few others. Not much activity this weekend in Ft. Deposit. Hopefully it will pick up soon!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
nice deer, i killed its twin a month or so ago up there. 8 point that weighed 147 gutted. bout a 14 inspread with a bunch of mass and dark.. again nice deer for public land.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Congrats on the KILL and thanks for sharing your story.

If you don't mind sharing, what brand of doe pee did you have onyour drag rag ?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PensacolaEd (1/18/2010)Nice deer - it looks like you removed the jawbone to age him, right?

Ed
The biologist cut him to view the teeth...he estimated him @ 4 1/2...He is a young man, fresh out of school, so I just took his word...nice enough guy, but seems to not want to "push" to stop the dog hunts at Blue Spring...the place just can't handle 800 plus dog hunters shooting anything that moves...we found 2 spikes and a cowhorn in a pile next to a road..NO meat taken, just piled up and left to rot...that's what the dog guys are doing to Blusie?...he says the higher ups want it and there is nothing he can do?...sure makes you wonder...all it is is dollar signs...no regard for the health of the deer poulation...very sad really...that WMA could really be something...O well???

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Geronimo (1/18/2010)Congrats on the KILL and thanks for sharing your story.

If you don't mind sharing, what brand of doe pee did you have onyour drag rag ?
I am reluctant to say...a lot of folk say it doesn't work, but I just smile and say OK...I know better...ran into it by accident, and it's the only thing I KNOW works...killed several bucks with their faces in it...PM me and I'll share, just keep it between us...no one thinks scents work anyway, right...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts