Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any areas around here setup specifically for quail? I grew up on 8k acre quail plantation learning to manage the land for them and training the dogs. I am able to go back pretty much whenever but would like something a little closer.

I wouldn't mind paying the money for a lease and I have the knowledge as does my dad to get the land where it needs to be if it is not already.

Don't have gun dog yet but will be getting one as soon as this pitbull we're boarding goes home. Probably going to get a lab and train him to close quarter and not knock birds so that I also have a dog for dove and duck. So obviously time is not important looking for something for the future.

Really just looking for some info b/c i have no idea how to approach this being that i grew up on private land and never hunted anywhere else. And this forum seems to be the best place to learn!

thank,

CurtyV

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is very hard to get a quota permit for the Hutton unit or for the field trial area of Blackwater. You must apply in June I think and they draw the winners. They only allow a few per year. You can hunt the rest of Blackwater during small game season. I have kicked around the idea of subleasing from people who have a deer lease. Deer season is limited and you could hunt quail when deer season was not open. I think that improving habitat for deer and quail might work. Does anyone do this around here? It would help defer some of the cost from the deer lease yet not compete for the same game.

·
Registered
60 Posts
therew was a pace in stapleton alabama just above interstate 10 about 4 or 5 miles call campbells hardware in robertsdale 251-947-2291

·
Registered
556 Posts
dragtester (1/4/2008)therew was a pace in stapleton alabama just above interstate 10 about 4 or 5 miles call campbells hardware in robertsdale 251-947-2291
sounds like you're talking about Steelwood Resort. Yeah, they have quail hunts, but its going to cost ya...I think $250 per hunt (don't hold me to that, but it close to that).

Its a private residential community...nice nice place...big time money place. I believe you'll have toknow somebody or be a member to hunt there (I could be wrong). Give 'em a call if you want.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm real familiar with the area, used to go to Campbell's almost everyday. It's about 30 min away from an 8k acre plantation i grew up on and still pretty much have free rein of along as I pick my days. But going there usually ends up in me cleaning kennels and roding dogs for hours, looking for something that couple of buddies (may even look into some kind of forum thing if I can get enough like minded people together) to run some dogs and have a good time, making it more about the dogs and the sport than hunting.

CurtyV

·
Banned
469 Posts
I don't have a dog but I have a shotgun and would love to go sometime if you have room. Glad to pay my share. JOE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts