Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to better my kayak results from my 3rd place redfish and a 1st place individual TWT from last year's Pirates on the Gulf Tournament. (Nice tournament with great prizes and it sounds like it is going to be even better next year!) Haven't done much inshore fishing, but I thought I would try the 3-mile in my yak for the 1st time since 5 nice kings were caught off the Palafox pier on Thursday morning. I tried the bayous on the Gulf Breeze side first to try to catch some menhadens. No luck there, but I did catch a 5.4lb 26-inch redfish on bull minnow.
I finally made it out to the middle of 3-mile perhaps a little late (8:15am), but it sounds like not many kings were caught at 3-mile or Palafox pier. I had terrible luck catching bait, but the one LY I did catch produced a 5.0lb Spanish Mackerel!
This was my 2nd biggest Spanish ever. I also caught a 5lb catfish,
a couple of smaller catfish and a small shark.

That was it for the morning. I tried the evening in the sound. Caught two 5lb 24-inch redfish
and a 12-inch speck. All were thrown back.

The next morning I tried Navarre Beach and caught a 5.0lb King Mack
and three 5lb Remoras.
I did see about an 80lb sailfish about 200 yards away 1/4 of mile from the beach jump 3 times in a row which was an awesome sight!
My Spanish took 1st place, so I was excited. I got 1st and 2nd respectively in the Optimist and Sertoma tournaments this year with a skipjack in my kayak, but a trashcan slam fish is not the same as a Big Mack!

Total ofnine 5-pounders (45lbs) within5 different species and nice weather.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Congrats on your catch.Sounds like a lot of folks had a good time fishing that tourney. Maybe next year I'll have the time to get in on it. I haven't fished any tournaments out of my new O.K. prowler big game yet.I've been catching a lot of nice kings and blacktip sharks off gulf shores lately along with some of the biggest spanish mackeral I've seen in a long time.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, a great weekend for big Spanish, but for some reason, not many big kings where biting all weekend. I heard only 1 5lb king was caught all weekend at the Pensacola Beach and Okaloosa piers. That is really what I was after, but maybe next year!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Very nice informative report. If you make your own sabiki rigs try making them out of 4 lb flouro and #12 gold hooks. This used to work pretty good for alewives at Ft. Pickens when throwing a bait net was out of the question. That five pound spanish is something to brag about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts