Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I along with my fishing buddy and his wife are planning a trip to the Pine Island area. We are not sure when to go. While we're there we plan on renting a bay boat for the entire time and would like to explore the area with rod and reel of course. We would like to go after Tarpon, Snook, and what ever else swims. What month would be best for the most variety of species? It's not too far from the Keys, are bone fish and permitcommon in the area? We will probably stay at Cabbage Key. Any suggestion or bits of knowledge would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
The fishing and habitat are great there. A little too varied and plentiful to pick a great spot for snook,reds, and specs;I would say mid-may for the annual tarpon run in the Boca Grandepass! It is hot, hot hot, but you will have lots of company!!

Note, I believe Snook season is closed becasue of the recent fish kill!

Have fun, its a wonderful fishery!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes Sir,

Snook are closed until September...and that may even be in doubt. The cold hammered the sealife down here. The tarpon suggestion is a good one, especially if you'll be free to fish on weekdays...weekends tend to be like bumper-boats. It's a nice area, you will have a good time (as long as an extensive nightlife scene aren't at the top of your list!).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cabbage Key is awesome. You won't find any bonefish down there, but all the other species are readily available. I was just fishing Estero Bay about two weeks ago and caught Snook, Mangroves, Reds and sheep (oddly no trout). I got into an area of back water one afternoon loaded with juvenile tarpon 20-40lbs, but we could not get a sniff on anything in the box. All we had were artificials & live shrimp, I think live green backs or mullet might have done the trick. Good luck fishing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts