Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
When you buy an egg or Kamado Joe, it's essentially a "buy it for life" item. It's also something most people use a lot when they have them. Most of us, multi times per week. For something I am going to get tons of use out of, and with proper care, will last forever, I don't mind spending the money.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Oh believe me, I’m all about buying quality. The biggest question is what did you guys value the most in each grill that you’ve noticed. Definitely sounds like ceramic is the way to go. With that being said... y’all post your setups! I’m going to need ideas on tables/cradles to hold whatever I decide to buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
Love my blackstone 4 burner hibachi, $190 end of season price at wallyworld, once seasoned up cooks everything we want in minutes from turning the burner on, had 40 burgers on it at one time along with many hotdogs during hurricane Sally for the neighborhood, used a similar grill when I lived in Australia, cook all 3 meals a day on it, should get 7-10 yrs out of it too

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
jason,
that's a beautiful cedar table. where you get it? you build it?
jack

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am a big fan of the pellet grills. I own two Oklahoma Joe's Rider Deluxe and they cook great. I also have a 5 burner Char Broil gas grill. I typically used the gas for something fast but more often now I am using the pellet grills for that. They have a sear mode which can take the temp . up to about 650 deg. I keep them covered and stored inside so longevity isn't such an issue. They do an amazing job for slow cooking pork and beef and yes, you can practically set it and forget it. You can purchase them from Lowe's for about $650.00 and save a lot of money vs. BGE. The reason for two is I keep one at my place and one at girlfriend's house.

·
Super Moderator
28,928 Posts
jason,
that's a beautiful cedar table. where you get it? you build it?
jack
Thanks Jack! I helped a buddy of mine who owns a sawmill one day and that was my pay was all the cedar I wanted to build my table. It was really weathered and prior to me restoring it, it was rough cut cedar. I planed all the boards and then put about 5 coats of poly on it to last another 15-20 years...I told my SIL if I found it at his place with auto parts and crap on it, it would be repossessed!!!

I'll take pics of my other set up and post it when I get back home!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can't really compare the BGE to other grills. I bought one in the '90s and have been cooking on it 2-3 times a week minimum for 20 something years. Friends that won't have one, or say they are over-rated, buy a new grill every few years.

It has taken a beating over the years. I had to replace the hinge assembly after one of the hurricanes dropped a large pine limb on it. It has made a few tuna trips as well. I've replaced the gasket a couple of times.

I used to build and sell custom cypress tables when I had spare shop time. I have a couple close friends on backorder and cypress in stock. That spare shop time is rather elusive these days.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Oh believe me, I’m all about buying quality. The biggest question is what did you guys value the most in each grill that you’ve noticed. Definitely sounds like ceramic is the way to go. With that being said... y’all post your setups! I’m going to need ideas on tables/cradles to hold whatever I decide to buy!
I said some of the same things that I've read on this thread, until I bought my BGE. "It's just a status symbol." I didn't see how it could be worth the money. Then friends with BGEs convinced me to get one. I got a demo from the EggFest through Escambia Electric, so I saved a bunch of money on the package compared to full retail price.

The quality of the food coming off the egg was immediately better than any gas grill or kettle type charcoal grill I've ever owned.
Also, it smokes low and slow better than any other charcoal or electric smoker I've owned.
My only gripe about the large BGE is capacity on the large can sometimes hold you back without adding a second-level grill.

A few of my family members have recently added Pitt Boss pellet grills to their collections. Those are really easy to use... as easy as (or easier than) a gas grill, but I think the food coming off them is better than you get from a gas grill. Plus they smoke pretty decently.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
tell us about this turkey brisket. sounds good. kinda like turduken?
jack

Reactions: MrFish

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
View attachment 1075674

A house we recently built. ODK overlooking the pool.
Gas grill w/ griddle & two burners.
Refrigerator, sink, SS storage drawers and door. XL Kamado grill.
Granite countertop. I'll post more pics of the entire back porch later. It is all Rough sawn cypress.
Great set up ! ----- BTW , I am going to hate you until you invite me over !!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
BGE....No regrets.... change thermometer and felt gasket every 5 years or so....lump charcoal only...... been cooking on it at least once a week for 20 years......looks, cooks and smells 20 years old....... Has a seasoned vintage smell when it starts puffing.
Shipoke

·
DROP TINE BUCK
6,137 Posts

Had to feed 8 peeps at the house yesterday, fired up the XL and gave the L a break, love these things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Hands down Cookshack PG500. I’m on my 3rd year with mine. I gave my gas grill away and haven't used my electric smoker in years. The PG500 grill has a charbroiler section for direct heat and searing and a section is dedicated for smoking all in the same grill.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I’m a big fan and owner of both a BGE and Primo and both have their advantages. That being said, if I were buying new today and live anywhere on the coast or close to it - I’d consider going with Kamado Joe due to the stainless parts and firebox design. Single piece fireboxes will break, but they can still be used. But both the BGE and Primo are 18 and 15 years old respectively. When both are fairly clean and clear for air to move, getting it to 700 degrees isn’t a problem and it’ll get their quickly. Could be the reason I have 2 piece fire boxes...
I'm surprised it took so long for Primo to get mentioned. I have the XL oval. BGE are great, but the design of the Primo gives it a better cooking surface.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts