Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,936 Posts
Screw the comment on "Status Symbols". Biggest regret I have is not getting my BGE years earlier. I can do whatever I want to on it. From low and slow to searing the shit out of a steak and having it red in the middle. I have been more than happy with mine for years now. Use it quite regularly.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have the Vision I bought a few years ago. I like it but air leakage is a problem. I had a Akorn cheapo before that and it lasted about 5 years before it rusted out but cooked great for a cheap grill.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
You can have an egg up to 500 plus degrees in 30 minutes or less. Charcoal really isn't that big of a deal to mess with, considering the pro's and con's.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I’m a big fan and owner of both a BGE and Primo and both have their advantages. That being said, if I were buying new today and live anywhere on the coast or close to it - I’d consider going with Kamado Joe due to the stainless parts and firebox design. Single piece fireboxes will break, but they can still be used. But both the BGE and Primo are 18 and 15 years old respectively. When both are fairly clean and clear for air to move, getting it to 700 degrees isn’t a problem and it’ll get their quickly. Could be the reason I have 2 piece fire boxes...

·
Super Moderator
12,972 Posts
BGE

And get you one of them weber chimneys, or if you really want to save time, a Looftlighter to really get your coals going quick. I have both and can have charcoal ready to cook in 5 minutes if need be.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

·
Bearded Brotula
12,383 Posts
BGE

And get you one of them weber chimneys, or if you really want to save time, a Looftlighter to really get your coals going quick. I have both and can have charcoal ready to cook in 5 minutes if need be.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Chimney is the way to go.

·
Registered
470 Posts
People can obviously spend there money however they want. I'm not shitting on anyone who has them, it's obviously a good product but the price is inflated because of the name.

To me, it's Yeti vs Igloo Sportsman. Dudes want that Yeti instead because...it's a Yeti. Meanwhile the Igloo is made in the USA and hold ice just as well at damn near half the price. I have an RTIC as well and it's the same.

I'm cheap and my Chargriller gas/charcoal does what I need it to lol. To each his own.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I’m cheap too.
I have a BGE, and a Kamado Jr. for the camper. I find I use the Kamado Jr. most of the time at home because there are only two in our household. Not sure how much money I wasted on charcoal grills and gas grills over the years. Best I ever got out of one was about three years on a Weber. Ceramic grills last many many years with little to no maintenance. Definitely saved money by buying these grills. The flavor, ease of use, versatility, and even controllable temperature is a game changer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my BGE. Should have bought one earlier. Any of the Kamado style should work though. Main reason I got the egg was my wife bought it for me for Father’s Day. Everything that comes out of it is amazing.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
If I can only have one, it's going to be a large BGE.
If I can have two, one will be an XL BGE, and the other will be a Mini Max BGE.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
What is the difference between Kamado and BGE? I looked at the Kamado at Sam's and it has the same look with the fire bricks insides as the egg, and much cheaper.
Was it a kamodo or a Vision? Vision has been Sams brand ceramic version for years and that’s the grill I’m taking about. If it’s a vision B series they’re fantastic and customer service is amazing. Some of the other visions have air leak issues that can be fixed easily but would rather go with the original and not worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
Green or Red Egg, both great grills at about the same price point; although the red one comes stock with a couple extras. I have the green and my brother has the red; cannot go wrong with either.
As mentioned, get something to get your coals going (I use the same heat gun I purchased for heat shrinking connectors) and you are are cooking in 10 minutes.
PS, do not take a phone call and forget about the heat gun in the coals:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,928 Posts
Only bad review on pellet grill is the auger sometimes gets clogged and you gotta clean it out. I believe they will end up being like a gas grill and the bottoms rust out and fall apart though.

I once was damn BGE costs too much money then was asked how often do I buy a gas grill. I was spending about 350 every 3-4 years on a gas grill so I bit the bullet and spend about 8 bills on my 1st large egg. That was about 13 years ago or more. Since then, I only put a new gasket in it and it's now my daughter and SIL's after I made the table NEW again!!!
20200828_152627.jpg

I now have an XL and a Mini Max and those who say they don't like the work of firing up an egg, switch to a propane gun....much quicker and easier. If I have small cooks I use the Mini but for larger or more controlled cooks I use my XL

41 - 60 of 79 Posts