Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas, I’m finally under contract on my first home. Assuming everything works out I’m going to need a grill for the house. I’ve cooked on everything from a Weber, to a BGE. What would you buy? BGE/kamado, propane, pellet? Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,928 Posts
BGE

·
Bearded Brotula
12,383 Posts
Sounds like I’m going to go against the grain here but I love my traeger

My BIL and neighbor have them and seem to like them. My BIL got one for a wedding present and it was rusted out on his fifth anniversary. He lives in Huntsville, not on the coast. Meanwhile, my BGE is almost 25 years old and cooks like a champ. New gasket is all I've ever had to replace. For the money, the BGE wins hands down.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'll throw my $0.02 in here and my get crucified for it... I have a large BGE and love it. I also have a three burner gas grill that also gets alot of love and use.

Couple quick weeknight hot dogs or Conecuh, they get tossed on the gas. Got more time on my hands, BGE.

We too are building a house and my pack porch kitchen will have a space for my BGE as well as a spot for a drop in gas grill plumbed to the whole home propane tank.

·
Bearded Brotula
12,383 Posts
I have too many grills. Large BGE, Char-Griller, Blackstone and a Weber gas grill. My deck is just a big outdoor kitchen.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm too practical to (i.e. poor) pay that much for a charcoal grill. Either way no one can convince me that thing is worth what they cost. Those green egg grills are a status symbol more than anything else.

I've had delicious stuff cooked on a "grill" a dude made with bricks in his backyard, and I've had delicious stuff off a green egg. The pellet grills are cool since you can kind of "Set and forget". My dad swears by his.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not going to lie I was really hoping to see good reviews on the pellet grills

·
Bearded Brotula
12,383 Posts
I'm too practical to (i.e. poor) pay that much for a charcoal grill. Either way no one can convince me that thing is worth what they cost. Those green egg grills are a status symbol more than anything else.

I've had delicious stuff cooked on a "grill" a dude made with bricks in his backyard, and I've had delicious stuff off a green egg. The pellet grills are cool since you can kind of "Set and forget". My dad swears by his.
You can set the temp on an Egg and forget it too. They are more than worth their cost, IF you cook a lot. People that say they are a "status symbol" don't cook enough to justify them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will say I love cooking on a BGE, it’s just a little more inconvenient and lengthy to get fired up. But flavor/cook ability is definitely top notch

·
Registered
751 Posts
My neighbor has a pellet grill. It always smells amazing. I have never used one myself. I will be getting a Weber if I ever get one. I have been told it is one of the few that hold up in this environment.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
ODK.jpg

A house we recently built. ODK overlooking the pool.
Gas grill w/ griddle & two burners.
Refrigerator, sink, SS storage drawers and door. XL Kamado grill.
Granite countertop. I'll post more pics of the entire back porch later. It is all Rough sawn cypress.

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
If you love to grill, spend the money on one, I never thought I would spend the money on a BGE.... now idk how I did without it, lol

I say BGE and Small Blackstone/griddle. Those get used mare than anything. Electric smoker I keep just to take with me camping or at the track.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,193 Posts

O

How many grills have you owned that can last 20+ years? Be willing to bet you’ve spent more on multiple gas grills over 15-20 year span than a BGE cost.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts