Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason to be concerned about current paddling over from Pickens to McCree/Sand Island in good conditions (slack tide & light wind) ? Paddling bayside.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
Boat traffic, currents in pass, wind it can be dead calm one minute and 2 ft after a couple boats go buy be careful. Or get a friend military to sponser you and use sherman cove marina. The sponser must be with you at all times.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Any reason to be concerned about current paddling over from Pickens to McCree/Sand Island in good conditions (slack tide & light wind) ? Paddling bayside.:thumbsup:
Yes big concerns as mentioned. But I see a few out there on calm wind days.

just go on more of an incoming tide south wind day. If there is strong current you won't go offshore.

Right off the point of pickens is the roughest area by far. Paddle around to the north of the red buoy.

·
One eye fishing,
597 Posts
? If you paddle over during a slack tide, when are you paddling back?

When a boat makes a turn to go around you, the wake on the inside of the turn is more significant than the wake on the outside of the turn. It would seem like more than a couple of boats are going to use you for a marker buoy to go around. If the weather and conditions are good for paddling, you can count on more boats.

Come to think of it, I don't recall ever noticing any kayaks crossing the pass...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks y'all for sharing. I think I'll head towards the base shoreline before turning west to Sand Island. BTW I did read about the young man who disappeared in 2013 with his dog while kayaking near the base.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The rest of the story... The missing kayaker and his dog were, according to news I read, in a 6ft kayak. This is something more suited to small ponds and creeks than even protected bays. It is especially sketchy in an area with significant boat traffic.

That said, I don't think I would attempt to cross the pass in any kayak; too small, easy to be swamped, hard to see, etc.

I've been coming through the pass in a boat and had larger boats zoom past with little more than props in the water as they weaved (wove?) between boats, buoys, etc. Some folks don't exercise due caution or sense.

Add a small Tupperware boat to the mix and bad things can happen quickly.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I’ve done it multiple times in my younger days to go camping at Mcree. My advice would be to avoid at all costs. I have almost gotten myself in trouble a couple times. It’s dangerous for multiple reasons. The best place to put in a kayak to go to Mcree is either NAS or south wind marina for a 1 or 3 mile paddle, respectively.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
Take cell phone in a waterproof box inside a ziplock with numbers to call ready to dial.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts