Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow yakers,

I convinced my wife to give me a kitchen pass this morning, (they are hard to come by when you have a 2 and 3 year old) to enable an offshore venture with a co-worker of mine who is a PFF'er, Wilbur. We decided to launch at the second parking lot. I arrived in Gulf Breeze before 0500 so I could be the first guy in the door at HSBT for some Fluro-carbon since I was out. While I was there I decided to pick up some squid and menhaden to compliment the Cigs that I already had in order to be able to offer more than one bait since I don't get off shore much in my yak. We pulled in the parking lot on Pickens around 0515 and begun to unload. Surf was a serious concern, I couldn't believe it, I wasn't sure the 4 inches of surf I was seeing was going to be something that I could overcome! HA! It was so flat, not like the 4 foot swells that we had coming in of course, that I knew we would make good time heading out to the spots.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Just as we got the yaks to the edge, the sun came up and it made for an often missed Gulf Coast Sunrise.

Before we launched we gave a two thumbs up and we headed out.

We headed south and pulled up on the spot after only about 30 minutes or so and we dropped the baits down. Since we didn't get any King runs on the way out there we were eager for some action. Wilbur was the first to bring in a fish, a nice black sea bass a little on the small side but tasty nonetheless. We stayed at the first spot about 45 minutes but despite marking fish we didn't get any decent hits. I decide to change it up and switched to a chicken rig with squid and I quickly pulled up two small trigger fish ( my first time catching any trigger ). By this time in the morning boats were starting to show up so we headed over to the parking lot to mark up some structure. I put the chicken rig back down at the new spot and caught some ruby red lips and mingo snapper. After I put on a fresh live bait I caugt I dropped 'em down and set the rod in my holder.

Shortly later, my Avet get slammed and I fish a fish which I find out is a 4-5 foot shark, two more sharks came up with the one I had hooked and I fought him for about 15 minutes. I was going to try to tail him but I ended up cutting the line. Wilbur should be posting a GoPro video on this tread (or maybe his own) that has some footage of the fight.

Fast forward an hour and I switch it up to cut menhaden and set it down and Bam! another hit. I pull up a nice legal snapper. Wilbur hollars out he's hooked up and lo and behold he pulls up a nice Redfish! We didn't expect that. The waves begin to pick up and the slick water we came out on was no where to see. It was now 2-3 footers. I keep with the 1/2 menhaden and drop it back down as we drift between the 8 boats that are out there and wait. As I re-rig, I notice a small bump on my rod, thinking it is trash fish and I take it out of the holder and now there is a steady pull but no real hit. I start reeling up, not a difficult fight but it does seem heavy. I keep reeling, no real fighting on the fish's side and when the fish comes up, I see the Man in the Brown suit has come to visit! When the fish comes to the surface, he realizes that he is hooked and then fights! Wilbur comes to help but I end up gaffing him myself because the Cobia like the left side of my yak. A couple more yakers are there and they make good on some snapper.

We didn't catch anymore snapper so we headed in just past 10 am and boy did the waves pick up. The 4-5 footers were rolling in and we hitting the kaks on the back right corner as we headed back to the parking lot. We almost get rolled a couple times so we just pedal like hell. The recovery at the beach was painless and went better than either of us expected with yak recovery.

All in all it was a good day, we caught some fish, didn't get rolled, and showed those fellas in expensive boats that pedal or paddle, we can fish (out fish!:thumbup:) with the best of 'em.

Be safe out there, and catch those fish!

-Ardiemus

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Enjoyed fishing with y'all today, that was definitely a nice cobe. For the record, the yaks were SMOKING the big boats out there! : thumbup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice catch and video. I always pick the wrong day to fish. Tried to go out today but it was windy and waves were crap today. I hope the fish dinner was good.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Great report! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man I cubed some Cobia and pan fried it with flour/Tony C's and it was delicious. On a side note, Cobia had a stomach full if small blue crabs. No fish or eels, just small crabs the width of your hand ( including legs tucked ).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts