Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i had quite a few unclaimed stickers. I will be putting in an order for my next go around of stickers soon. BUT i figured i would give a few away of the old stock first.

So here is the deal. Post that you are "IN" and thank someone on this forum or close to you that has helped you get into fishing and a brief description of how they inspired or helped you become a better fisherman. I will pick five numbers randomly through a random number generator and send each person 3 stickers. I may throw in a couple bonus items too, if the person left a really impressive reply.

So that's it. Post away. The give away will end on November 6, 2013.

Tight Lines!

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not about mushy. Just say something like, Thanks C2 for all the great pomp tips over the years.

My drive was to insight some comradery around here. Something that has been lacking lately!

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
I have my stickers already, dont need anymore, but thanks Kenton for ordering these for us. Maybe I will get em on the trucks soon!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
As a middle school kid I grew up on the original Navarre Pier (two piers ago). There was an older man out their named Holley Reed who taught me how to flounder fish, taught me the right way to sharpen a treble hook, how to cut a belly strip to use for Spanish, and a lot of other stuff. Any one who has spent much time around middle school kids knows how annoying they can be and I am sure that I was not any different, but he took the time to teach me and I will never forget it. I learned a lot from him and have tried to return the favor as much as I can to kids and adults alike. I have taught the fishing merit badge to my Boy Scouts and even got to teach dozens of boys to tie flies at the national scout Jamboree a few years ago. I owe it to Holly Reed and my grandfather who got me started.
- Fisherdad1

·
Registered
294 Posts
When I was 5, My grandfather took me Bream fishing for the first time...took a pic that I have to this day...fast forward about 9 years, and there we were on the old PBP (The one Frederick took down)...he had gone out and bought us some heavy duty salt spinning gear from Sears (Neither of us knew a DAMN THING about salt water fishing)...there was an older gentleman there who taught us how to rig, what leaders to use, etc...well, wouldn't ya know the FIRST live bait he gave me (A Nordo) I threw it out and within seconds, I was hooked up to something that was SCREAMING drag...we were down in the draw and I had to run and weave my way to follow the fish...this guy was right there with me every step of the way...Long story short, it turned into a 28.9# king (My biggest STILL off the piers)...I can't remember his name to save my life, and I feel terrible for that, but every time I went back, I'd learn something new from him. Now, as "The older guy", I try my best to pass on what I know...I show young and old alike the techniques and tackle that seem to work best. Oh...and that rod and reel I'd had since I was 14...I had the rod re-wrapped and gave it to MY son who is up in NJ...it's still catching some nice Stripers from the surf.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
My brother really got me into fishing when I was about nine years old fishing on bayou chico in our Jon boat fishing for specks,reds, and catfish. We didn't care what we caught as long as we caught something. He would always teach me new ways to fish and after spending almost everyday on the water during the summer and after school we started to get really good at targeting species in the bayou. Ever since then (now I'm 17) I've been hooked on fishing and go every chance I can and every time I go just talking to new people I learn more and more. The best feeling though is teaching people new to fishing what to do and seeing their face when they catch a big fish. One of my best friends AVIDfisherman on the forum caught his first bull red because of me and since then we have caught many different species together. Today I put my girlfriend on her first decent fish which was a 20" red and seeing her smile was the best feeling ever(especially since she wants to fish all the time now!) My brother got me started into fishing and it has escalated since then And it kept me out of trouble.

·
Registered
334 Posts
In

I would have to thank my dad. He had me out on the water as soon as i could actually follow directions. Starting out there were several times that he wouldn't even put his own bait in the water just because he wanted to make sure i had a grasp on the fundamentals of the type of fishing we were doing. That same mentality he also bestowed upon my sister and brother. My dad taught me through the years the importance of patience and above all love and godly appreciation for the things in which God has gave us sportsmen and women to enjoy. My dad turned 56 years old today and of all his years of fishing piers, bridges, and the surf he had never caught a King Mackerel. Well back in may of this year i was able to bestow my pier fishing knowledge upon him, and he was able to chalk up a king in his long resume of fish caught over the years. All teaching and training came full circle and even though i didn't catch one that day, i was overjoyed to see the smile upon his face and to know that he then saw what he taught me was something i have held on to and am improving each time I'm on the water.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I gotcha. Well, I have to give a lot of thanks to Craig and Hunter Boutwell. Met them six years ago. Was in a twelve foot boat with two 12volt lights. They taught me a lot. Move around. I appreciate the advice. Super good folks

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
:thumbup:I'm "IN

I must positively, absolutely thank JJam for properly demonstrating the "I'll watch your 9/0 while you untangle the other anglers lines technique." :w00t: The concept really zoomed by my head as I was unfamiliar with this particular procedure; really, I was just at a complete loss. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

·
Captain Anthony
27 Posts
In

I want to thank H20Mark for helping me out with PFF.

As far as my "Mushy" story, I'll keep that short and sweet..

Pops took my on my first party/drift boat in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ. From that point on, I was hooked. After fishing a few times, I asked the mates if I could help. I became a dock rat and worked my way up, mate, 1st mate, Captain. My love and passion of being on the water eventually ended up with me serving 08 years in the United States Coast Guard.

·
Registered
591 Posts
IN:
I'd like to thank my dad. While we're not the best fishermen, there's something about getting up before the sun and being out on the water that is awesome.

·
Registered
107 Posts
In

Most recently my thanks go to my Grandsons for lighting the fire under me to get back fishing. But more broadly, the community's cast of characters eventually gets around to answering most questions I have regarding the finer arts of fishing and rigging in the area. I've gotten in on a few Mullet runs over the Years and that still remains one of my most cherished on-water experiences, thanks to the folks who used to run Black Creek Lodge in Freeport.

·
IT'S ALL GOOD !
1,352 Posts
IN
I want to thank my Dad for getting me into fishing when I was around 8 years old. He bought me a Zebco 202 back in the early 70's and I used to practice casting in the yard with a practice plug for hours. We lived on Eglin and I used to ride my bicycle to Ben's lake and spend all of my time out there. Even got grounded for staying too late past dark because someone stole my bicycle. My Dad used to love to fish but has lost interest in it now since he is 74 years old. He was one of the sailors on the Oriskany when it had the massive fire. I thought it was cool that they brought the Big "O" here to pensacola for it's final resting place.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
IN
I want to thank my Dad for getting me into fishing when I was around 8 years old. He bought me a Zebco 202 back in the early 70's and I used to practice casting in the yard with a practice plug for hours. .
So now all us Old Farts in our 60's and 70's are sitting here smiling and remembering taking the little yellow practice plug out in the back yard and learning to cast. The 202 would be dripping with 3 in 1 oil and the line came off like a slinky:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Aaaaahhh! Completely forgot! I need to get with you soon for my stickers!
Glad to know I'm not the only one who did lol.

Really, this forum is the reason I really got fishing, I've always had an interest in fishing, but I was adopted and my parents knew nothing of fishing, nor did they have interest and helping me learn. I've always been embarrassed to ask being in the south it was embarrassing to be the only one years ago when I was in high school that knew nothing of hunting or fishing.

Fast forward to last year I found this forum searching for something in Pensacola that there was a discussion going on on the forum about. So I signed up and bought me some cheap rods and started fishing, met a few guys and finally bought me a boat and good gear.

Honestly I think this forum is a miracle to me, 2 years ago today I lost a dear friend to suicide lost my job and just lost all my fun in life until I found this forum, and remember my love for wanting to fish. I believe fishing has helped me release a lot of stress and depression that had built up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts