Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be fun to continue the geocache hunt so a friend and I put together a fishing related treasure chest. I'll rate it as difficult as it will take some local knowledge and a little foot work. We did it with a pair of toddlers 3 and 4 years old who walked and ran the whole wayso you ought to be able to handle it.

The #'s are N30.22.201,W087.08.324.

Feel free to take/leave something fishing related and be sure to sign the log. Have fun, take a kid, do something new. Happy new year!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
i pulled it up on google earth and it looks like that one is going to be a little harder to find then the first one!!! should be a good time!!! unfortunatly i head back to work tonight and wont be able to go check it out. hope everyone else has a good time with it!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have fun man, I hate Jan, Feb. in the gulf. I can handle it when it comes to a day of fishing but weeks at work is miserable. The geocache will be here when you get back. Stay safe.

·
Registered
261 Posts
FlounderAssassin (1/2/2008)i pulled it up on google earth and it looks like that one is going to be a little harder to find then the first one!!! should be a good time!!! unfortunatly i head back to work tonight and wont be able to go check it out. hope everyone else has a good time with it!!!
I'm new to Gog Earth. Having problems with coordinates. How did you find?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Did you have to download something? Wouldnt work for me either, kept telling me I needed to download something and wasn't sure.

I did find this place that easily converted the coordinates.... gives you an idea of where its at...

http://boulter.com/gps/

Just copy/paste the coordinates.....

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I put the coordinates in and it takes me to the water just off pickens in the gulf... there is a certain way to put the coordinates in unless you have google earth pro.. regular google earth input the coordinates like this..

30.22201, -087.08324

:usaflag

·
Praedator
10,015 Posts
For those having trouble with google earth here is a far out view of the general area where the gps points are. I zoomed out so as to not give it away too much.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
i used google earth pro to find it. that might be what its telling you to down load.

as far as the gulf, we are at the dock in fresh water city right now. got to the boat at about 5:30 this morning, other crew hauled ass, had to top off with fuel and water, and fix a few little things that they just left. so all and all day number one was not that good! hopefully it will get better as the hitch progresses.

4,058 Posts
oh even i know where that is. gulf islands national seashore i KNOW is to the south, is it on the north side of the road too? that's where (WHEN i go) i do some inshore fishing

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
First to find!!!!

We went on the hunt for the PFF Geochache #2 today! What an adventure! My GPS is a Garmin 76 with no maps. I bought it pretty much for boat use only, so it made for an interesting hunt. We ended up in some off the wall places out in the woods. Sometimes a straight line is not the quickest way to a set point.We had a GREAT time. If you liked finding the first one, you will LOVE going after this one. I encourage all you PffR'S to get out there. Bring the kids on this one. Here are a couple of pics... They don't give anything away...

Stacy and Lily on the hunt!

Well Hidden

Tired Baby!

One word of advice on this one... Don'e attempt it with just google earth... beg buy or borrow a handheld GPS.

Thanks for taking the time to set this up!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Corpsman, good job! I'm glad you were the first to find it. This is definately something for the family and kids to do. I didn't even know those trails were there until a friend told me a week ago. It's great weather today go find it!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, I'm sure it was placed back where it was found.

Like Corpsman said, a straight line is not always the best route.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yep...it's still there 'cuz I was the second to find it, ONE hour behind "Corpsman"! :banghead I used my handheld Garmin Legend and it was a definite "hunt"! "Team Outlaw" logged in at 1715hrs Sat pm, so everyone get out there. It was hella fun and had to utilize multiple resources! Good job on location "Barnacle Brain" and congrats "Corpsman" on bein' the first!(Bet you were still out there laughin' when I was crashing around like a drunk orangutan!) :doh

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm pretty sure I found with google earth and map tech. Hard to get to 180 miles noth of it.

Sequoiha, If i'm not wrong you can't put the #'s in goggle earth reg. as 30.22201n/-87.08324w that is decimal fornat(DD.DD)which translanted to the other format (DMS)would give you 30 13 32.06n and around -87 05 00.00w, those #'s are out in the gulf.I put mine in as 30 22.201n 87 08.324w (DM.MM) and wound up in the gulf islands national seashore, close to where the others where saying. I also went to map-tech and using both formats DD.DD and DM.MMended up at whatseems to be the same spot.

If I'm wrong would someone please show me the correct method for lat/lon format changing

BA

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's still there, only two people have looked for and found it. Tomorrows saturday, take the kids for a walk. They don't get that much quality time with you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts